Recommendations for a yak?

flyboy718

Recommendations for a yak?

Post by flyboy718 »

Just came back from Port Aransas with the family, didn't take my kayak because I didn't have room. I have a 10' Perception Pescador. Pretty sure that is a decent kayak for inshore purposes? I was watching some YouTube vid's on the way home of guys in yaks paddling a few miles offshore fishing for the bigger fishies. What brand/length yak do you recommend on a budget but above all, SAFE?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Recommendations for a yak?

Post by Ron Mc »

If you want to go offshore, probably should be looking for a used T160, the going market is about $700.
Keep in mind you may have to replace some hatch seals - and of course you'll need all the correct offshore safety gear.
rockportkayak
Location: Rockport,TX---Viking Reload,Viking 400 Lite, Viking 2plus1

Post by rockportkayak »

I would definitely check out the Viking Kayaks. They were made for offshore and do incredible inshore. Specifically the Profish Reload. It brings all your gear infront of you for easy access. You can find some great walkthoughs here: https://www.youtube.com/c/VikingKayakUSA
impulse

Post by impulse »

A lot also depends on your vehicle and your storage situation. If you're driving a Miata, live in a small 3rd floor apartment and don't want to spend $$ every month on storage, you're looking for something different than a guy driving an F350 and living on 40 acres. If you plan to trailer your 'yak, you can get away with a lot heavier vessel than someone who has to lift theirs up on top of a van. (Ask me how I know that...)

I have a T160 and a Pescador 12, and I wouldn't characterize either one as "safer" or a better fishing vessel. The 12' is a lot easier to move around- the 16' holds more and paddles a little faster. I can't say I'd take the 16' out when conditions don't let me take the 12' out safely.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

he did ask specifically about a cost-effective boat for BTB.
At the very least, you gain paddling efficiency with length.
impulse

Post by impulse »

Ron Mc wrote:he did ask specifically about a cost-effective boat for BTB.
At the very least, you gain paddling efficiency with length.
True, and that's why I said the 16' is faster. My main point is that the logistics of transporting, storing and moving your kayak around can be just as important as it's fish-ability. I can pick up the 12' and put it on top my van. For the 16', I have to pick up one end and slide it up- which is hell on the paint. So which is the better kayak for me?

In searching for the three 2nd hand kayaks I ended up buying, I found several guys who had bought kayaks without considering their personal, storage and auto situation. They got the perfect fishing kayaks (maybe), but the hassle of getting them to the water and the cost of storing them between trips drove them to sell- at a significant reduction over what they paid for them.

Some of the sellers had already bought different kayaks, some of them knew what they were going to buy with the sales money, and a couple had just given up on kayaking altogether. That's another reason I usually suggest buying a 2nd hand starter kayak- partly to figure out your own logistics before pulling the trigger on that perfect new one. Of course, you'll also be figuring out what features and characteristics you prefer for fishing the way you fish.

For example, I'm over 60, had bypass surgery and drive a soccer mom van- because I can camp out of it. (And I like an occasional nap in the middle of a day of fishing) My perfect kayak isn't the same as the perfect 'yak for my 35 year old nephew who works out every day and could crush bulls for a living. I stay on the water in Galveston- he lives in an apartment in Houston and drives a sedan. Even though we fish the same water and basically the same methods, he needs something different.

Another example is the guys who have their kayaks decked out with electronics and batteries, high rise seats, trolling motors, and a half dozen other attachments. They are impressive offshore fishing machines, and I envy the way some of them are set up. Great if you have a trailer. But a PITA if you need to remove it all to throw it on top of a car, then reset everything when you arrive.

We're not really disagreeing on anything about fishability. I don't know nearly as much as a lot of guys here about fishing. I'm just suggesting looking at your own logistics when you select any boat- including a canoe or kayak.
TX All Water Fishing

Post by TX All Water Fishing »

The longer the Kayak and narrower the kayak the faster & easier the kayak will move through the water. I would chose the kayak's specs over brand if I was looking to fish a certain water type such as offshore. Don't forget to facture other cost such as transportation and other add on's such as a fish finder. I would definitely look at cutting cost and look at used kayaks.
Anyway, just food for thought.
Good luck I hope you find and good yak and share with us some great fish you catch out there

Tight Lines,
Ruben
Texas All Water Fishing
flyboy718

Post by flyboy718 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I may just stick with the 10' Perception Pescador I have and fish it inshore for a while. I need to rig it up with some extras like lights and a fish finder. I think it would give me a better handle on what I can carry with my Toyota Tacoma. I don't want to pull a little trailer with a yak on it. I also think I might use my yak to carry out bait into the surf for shark fishing.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

flyboy718 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I may just stick with the 10' Perception Pescador I have and fish it inshore for a while. I need to rig it up with some extras like lights and a fish finder. I think it would give me a better handle on what I can carry with my Toyota Tacoma. I don't want to pull a little trailer with a yak on it. I also think I might use my yak to carry out bait into the surf for shark fishing.
Here's my 5 cent input.

If your goal is to become a more effective inshore angler don't add lights or fish finder; you'll be wasting your money. Most inshore fishing is done in 4 feet or less, so a fish finder is pretty useless. Take the money you would invest in lights and fish finder and buy the Trout Support videos. They'll improve your knowledge at a greater rate than adding stuff to your yak.

If purchasing those videos is not an option I recommend you pick a spot to fish and just fish that one location. Be observant.
Observe your surroundings. After a fishing trip look back at the data . Too many anglers fish on location on one day then travel to another location their next fishing trip. If you fish a different location every time you head out fishing then you miss out on so much information.

My advice; pick a one location. Fish that location, good and bad days. Be a student; be aware of your surroundings. The more you intimately know a location the more successful you become.

If you are looking for lure input here's my down and dirty suggestion:
bone & dark profile topwater
wake/crank bait (bone or chrome)
weedless gold spoon
Nite glow DOA shrimp or New Penny Gulp Shrimp
Soft Plastic in Chicken on a Chain, Pumpkinseed/Chartreuse, White/Chartreuse, Strawberry/White, Plum/Chartreuse, and TX Roach
1/16 and 1/8 oz jighead

Fill a box with theses lures and you have a higher probability of catching fish.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Neumie wrote:If purchasing those videos is not an option I recommend you pick a spot to fish and just fish that one location. Be observant.
Observe your surroundings. After a fishing trip look back at the data . Too many anglers fish on location on one day then travel to another location their next fishing trip. If you fish a different location every time you head out fishing then you miss out on so much information.

My advice; pick a one location. Fish that location, good and bad days. Be a student; be aware of your surroundings. The more you intimately know a location the more successful you become.
I wish I had been given this advice when I started out. AND I wish I would adhere to it this day! I guess maybe it’s because I like to explore new areas in my kayak too much! :D But the exploration is pretty much done so it’s time to get Dow to “studying “ Thanks Neumie
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

a required 360 light and a good headlight are always smart, but Neumie's advice above is worth a quarter if not a six-pack
Plastics should also include TSL grasswalker with unweighted swimbait hooks.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

I just saw this on Austin CL
https://austin.craigslist.org/spo/d/dea ... 99073.html
I haven't done any BTB myself but 15ft OK Prowler would be a good offshore yak I think and $300 is pretty cheap for it
flyboy718

Post by flyboy718 »

That is a smoking deal for that yak! I would have to figure out how to strap it down to a toyota tacoma though.

Solid advice Neumie!