Reel Cleaning - Complete Breakdown

Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Reel Cleaning - Complete Breakdown

Post by Neumie »

2 Weight Willie wrote:Hey Neumie(do you prefer neumie or Josh), do you have any recommendations on fixing a bent main shaft on one of my spinning reels (Diawa Fuego)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I have no preference.

If it's bent I'd order a replacement part. I'd reach out to the manufacturer or start with Southwestern reel repair for a replacement part as it'll be difficult to make it perfect again with out proper tooling. If you're hellbent on fixing it yourself you'll need to slowly roll the shaft across a hard, smooth surface(such as polished concrete or steel plate) and make several gentle strikes as it's rolling. You can get it close this way. Never done it to a spinning reel shaft, but other times where precision wasn't as necessary.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Ron Mc wrote: My 3rd, Lew's Tournament, has only been fished once, when I needed it for back-up. What I noticed about that reel, without mag, it's not as reliable casting into the wind, and casts 12-lb fluoro well-enough when casting enough weight. The Super Duty has the best mag, and I first made the switch from 12-lb fluoro to 20-lb braid. Fished it last week at Arroyo, and it cast like a jewel, especially accurate casts from the kayak into the mangrove edges.
I have the Super Duty set up for 1/4 oz and heavier - I added the longer-pitch handle to slow down the 8.3 gears and with its mag, has become my favorite reel.
I have my Custom Inshore set up on ML rod for 1/8 oz lures, and the combo casts them great.
Trying to understand what you are saying. I also have a Super Duty, and also a fully centrifugal Lews bait caster (I forget the exact model, it's in my garage and I don't want to go find it right now ;) it was at least $150 though when bought new).

I love my Super Duty G, it casts so well. I actually have 17 lb Mono on it. Main use was for topwater. Mono due to mono floats. But it casts a 1/4 oz jig like a champ too. I'm using berkley big game mono so it's pretty strong.

My Centrifugal, it had 12 lb floro on it, but it cast very crappy. I upgraded to larger diameter 17 lb floro Berkley vanish and it casts great now. My point here is that it felt like the larger diameter line is less prone to backlash than the smaller diameter line.

You seem to be saying though that you went to an even smaller diameter line (12 lb floro to 20 lb braid), and even went with a lighter lure (1/8 oz)? I see no way to reduce the lure weight under 1/4 oz even with my 17 lb lines. I'd be backlashing like crazy.
Is this due to the better bearings you put in there?

What is the name of this vendor? was it $20 for the entire kit?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Hi friend, I was talking about matching reels to two different rods for weight niches.
Yes, my Super Duty has gone to 20-lb braid, and works flawlessly, even with 1/8-oz, though that's not my target for the reel. I was throwing the Super Duty with 1/8 oz at Arroyo on my long Lami ML rod, and it was a jewel.

I'm aiming the 7' MM + Super Duty combo for TSL, cocahoe on 1/4-oz jigheads - and heavier stuff like Corkys.
Here's the ebay listing for the better bearings
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Reel-Bearin ... 1827934020
You need two 3x10x4 mm bearing for the spindle ends, and one 5x11x4 mm main spool bearing.
The reels with P2 pinion get one 3x10x4 and one 5x11x4
Note with these bearings, you have to keep them lightly oiled, but you can also pick your own lower-viscosity oil.

You need a pin tool to remove the 5x11-mm spool bearing, and this inexpensive one works great on that spool
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baitcasting-Re ... 4697869152

start-up inertia is a big factor in backlash with light lures, and yes, slicker-starting bearings make a difference.
It always takes more force to start the spool spinning than it does to keep it spinning - this makes backlash.
Centrifugal brakes are specific for just this moment. Mag brakes relative constant braking force (linear v. spool rotation) helps to slow the spool as the bait is slowing - your spindle end tension and thumb do the rest.
(the other big inertia difference is reducing the mass of the spool + line, and that's tough to do without a shallow spool).

BTW, I was talking with the main parts & service guy at Lew's - he and I agree Super Duty G is the best buy Lew's offers.

I actually didn't like the way my Custom Inshore loaded the braid, and I'm taking on another project for braid in the lighter niche - will post it separately, don't want to confuse this discussion. I'm going to rescue the braid from the Inshore, and load it back with 12-lb fluoro (of course it's keeping the good bearings)
If you want to see my "BFS" reel project, it's here on FFR - https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/ ... 33&t=70741
The Japanese, btw, are throwing 1.5 g on baitcasters (less than 1/16th oz)

And btw, if you want to beat the rush and go straight to 20-lb braid, the new shallow-spool Lew's SP holds exactly 200 yds.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 14 times in total.
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Reel Cleaning - Complete Breakdown

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

Neumie wrote:
2 Weight Willie wrote:Hey Neumie(do you prefer neumie or Josh), do you have any recommendations on fixing a bent main shaft on one of my spinning reels (Diawa Fuego)

I have no preference.

If it's bent I'd order a replacement part. I'd reach out to the manufacturer or start with Southwestern reel repair for a replacement part as it'll be difficult to make it perfect again with out proper tooling. If you're hellbent on fixing it yourself you'll need to slowly roll the shaft across a hard, smooth surface(such as polished concrete or steel plate) and make several gentle strikes as it's rolling. You can get it close this way. Never done it to a spinning reel shaft, but other times where precision wasn't as necessary.
Thank you!