Palm Harbor launch question

Cory.Ogle1

Palm Harbor launch question

Post by Cory.Ogle1 »

Went to Palm harbor last weekend and couldn't really find a kayak launch area in the dark. Is the launch what is highlighted in yellow or the green area that looks pretty rocky? is there a path there I didn't see? I'm assuming you park in the red area or am I completely wrong?
any help would be appreciated!

TIA
Attachments
palm harbor.png
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Palm Harbor launch question

Post by Neumie »

More in between the yellow and the green where the bulkhead dies off into the grass, there are some rocks there. Yes the red area you have circled would be the beginning portion of where you can park. I guess you could launch from the beachy area from yellow, but you may be trespassing on to the neighboring property.

Here's pic when Ron and I launched there back in April.
Last edited by Neumie on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's it - you need to check in with the RV Park office, $5 - either when you leave or when you return
Josh, this was a 4:30 launch when we arrived Oct before last, but a better view of the ICW and Talley Is
and the return at 6p
dinner at 7 (we were camping in the RV park, 3 weeks after Harvey)
this was parking another morning there - park by the dumpsters

and since I'm here, this is the high-res Estes chart
https://i.imgur.com/9s162ig.jpg
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cory.Ogle1

Post by Cory.Ogle1 »

Thanks guys! That's what I needed to know.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

I contacted them back in August and they replied saying they were not allowing anymore launches. ???
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I've launched there three times since last August (not counting an Oct stay in a Palm Harbor house, when we launched daily from the house dock into canal) -
- they're always sweet in the office, even if you show up at 2pm to fess up

getting a house for a few days is a good deal if you can fill it up with friends - it's always nice to have dock access, easy landing, dock fishing and lounging
Divide the total by man-nights, and everybody pays their share.
Usually have to plan a couple of months ahead to secure the property, send out a proposal to your friends, etc.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

JW FunGuy wrote:I contacted them back in August and they replied saying they were not allowing anymore launches. ???
I've used it once since August and was considering using it again this weekend.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I launched there on Sunday morning. They were more than happy to let me launch and were friendly.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Sometimes, that launch can be pretty scuzzy. Other times not. With the Vibrio threat nearby, make sure you don't have open sores that could invite an infection. I'm not a scaremonger, but I saw more putrid, nasty, grass today in Port Bay than I have ever seen. We haven't had any appreciable rain recently to flush the toilet!
Neosporin, or other anti-biotics are something we should all carry, plus hydrogen peroxide. I'm working on my On-The-Water First Aid Kit.
Be safe and catch 'em up! TexasJim
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I keep Hibiclens on my kayak and got a small cut from the barb on a hook last Saturday. I put a drop of Hibiclens on it just in case.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you'll notice any time the wind is anywhere but prevailing SE, it cleans out the grass along Estes shore
but the prevailing wind does tend to collect every blade of grass from Aransas Bay along Estes shore, and yes, it rots there.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

JW FunGuy wrote:I contacted them back in August and they replied saying they were not allowing anymore launches. ???
I launched there this morning. When I paid after I got off the water the lady corrected me when I said "launch fee" and said I was paying a "parking fee".
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

That’s interesting, I wonder if it is a legal thing or just verbiage. But whatever as long as they didn’t say you couldn’t. And the real question is.. Did you do any good! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

The closest actual boat ramp is Cover Harbor - kind of next door - so maybe there's an arrangement between them - or just the habit to make a point to tell people renting RV pads that they don't have a launch facility, and they will have to launch at Cove Harbor.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

JW FunGuy wrote:That’s interesting, I wonder if it is a legal thing or just verbiage. But whatever as long as they didn’t say you couldn’t. And the real question is.. Did you do any good! :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Just two quick keeper reds and then the bite shut down around 7. Will post a report this evening or tomorrow after I get back to San Antonio.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:The closest actual boat ramp is Cover Harbor - kind of next door - so maybe there's an arrangement between them - or just the habit to make a point to tell people renting RV pads that they don't have a launch facility, and they will have to launch at Cove Harbor.
I'm thinking it's a legal thing with insurance. Either way we need to be respectful when we're "parking" so we can continue to utilize their parking lot.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

would hate to lose that access...