Thinking About East Matagorda or Palacios Area for July 13

ben_beyer

Thinking About East Matagorda or Palacios Area for July 13

Post by ben_beyer »

The wife, son, and in-laws are headed down to Port Aransas next week. I have international visitors (what fun...) coming when they will be in Port Aransas. I could possibly drive down Friday night probably getting to Port Aransas between 11 and midnight, fish Saturday, and then come back on Sunday but that might be a bit of driving for a Friday evening.

So I'm considering just leaving the house at 6AM on Saturday and heading down to East Matagorda or the Palacios area, fishing for 4 or 5 hours, and then driving back to get my saltwater fix taken care of.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

Side note: I'm also thinking about heading down early Saturday morning, fishing the little bay to the west of Egery Flats and Copano bay off of FM 136 where the Aransas river comes in and then spending the night in Port Aransas.
ben_beyer

Re: Thinking About East Matagorda or Palacios Area for July 13

Post by ben_beyer »

I've done some thinking and research and I will fish the Aransas River Delta and maybe drift the area of Copano to the east of the FM 136 bridge if I go. I will check the weather before even drifting the more open water of Copano though.

http://www.stxmaps.com/map/default.cfm? ... 36:1882692
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

Dang, I have a previous commitment for 7/13. I have driven over the 136 bridge at Egery Island and wanted to fish there. Rockport Ryan used to fish there often. Catch 'em up!

Did you ever get a Tarpon 140? I've been Jonesing for a Viking Profish 400, but now I'm thinking a T140, or a Pescador 14 might serve me well. My Pescador 12 is great, but I would like something a tad longer. Good luck, TexasJim
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

No as my wife and I are expecting another child next month.

The other thing I need to work on is how to keep my cooler with rod holders and carry my tackle. With the Coosa HD I have tackle box storage in the seat and under as well.

My guess is all I need to do is get a small to medium size tackle bag that will hold a few Plano 3600 or 3700 boxes and some soft plastics and put that in the very front of the tankwell and then my cooler.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

ben: I replaced the POS seat in my Pescador with a Gone Fishin' seat that comes with 2 large, 1 medium and 2 small Plano tackle boxes attached. The medium and large boxes are in a detachable bag. It also has 2 rod holders. The seat bottom is thin, and I had to put a 2 inch foam pad under it. They go for about $140, but I found one online in Georgia for $99.95, mailed! Worth looking at, if you're thinking of changing yaks. It puts tackle and rod holders plus seat in one unit I can detach and stow in my truck while on the road. TexasJim
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Thanks Jim I'll have to check that out!

The Tarpon would be in addition to my Coosa HD since I like it for bass fishing.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

I fished south of Bayside at the ramp on the FM 136 bridge on my way down Saturday. I was just starting to unload my stuff when I guy pulled in behind me with his boat. I recognized him from the CCA chapter up here so that was interesting and he gave me a few spots to try. I mostly paddled slowly throwing a popping cork which resulted in a few small schoolie trout. I saw a few reds but spooked them before I could get in to position to sight cast or ended up fumbling my reel. I did catch one OK trout when drifting back.

I had thought about just heading home on Sunday but decided to give Estes Cove a go since the ferry didn't take long and the winds were going to stay light through the morning. I caught some nice trout and saw some reds up in the marsh but I had tied on a topwater instead of a spoon and couldn't change lures in time.

I'm glad I fished both areas and I have some experience going to and from Port Aransas so I have other options. Port Aransas has some good kayak fishing spots but neither one of these spots had a lot of people and aren't private land. I launched from Palm Harbor yesterday which is privately held but the people there said even if no one is there to just stop by the office on my way out to pay in the future.

I also think that if the winds are 15+, it may not be worth going out period. Even at Wilson's it was exposed enough that getting back can be difficult. I'd much rather fish in lower wind conditions even if I get a Tarpon or similar kayak. I do like the high position seating of my Coosa HD though so some things to consider.

I've also been listening to the Bite Me podcast and I highly recommend it. The hosts were discussing using drones to spot fish and I may have to get one to check out shorelines and in the marsh. It could be good to see if a redfish is hanging on a corner before I come around it and scare it off.
Attachments
20190713_114459.jpg
20190713_142440.jpg
20190713_144306.jpg
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Estes Cove Pics
Attachments
20190714_084655.jpg
20190714_094030.jpg
Screenshot_20190714-105406_Maps.jpg
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Last ones.
Attachments
20190714_100125.jpg
20190714_112308.jpg
20190714_113639.jpg
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Always good to boat a few fish when exploring new water.

Thanks for sharing your report and pictures.
ben_beyer wrote:I've also been listening to the Bite Me podcast and I highly recommend it. The hosts were discussing using drones to spot fish and I may have to get one to check out shorelines and in the marsh. It could be good to see if a redfish is hanging on a corner before I come around it and scare it off.
I think it would just be easier to make a cast at a corner of a slough when you're approaching it. Seems to me you'd waste 20-30 minutes unpacking, doing the start up process, flying the drone, spotting fishing, bringing the drone back, packing everything up, and then paddle to where the fish used to be 10 minutes prior when you spotted it on the drone.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

not to mention that by the time you land it and pack it back up the fish has then moved. Now if you find an areas with some schools running around, then that's enough fish that you can go in their and hunt around for the schools again. Jared Esley has some great footage and used that method. It's a rather expensive tool tho that, like Neumie said, takes time to use then put it up. They're great for capturing sick footage.. but unless you want to spend a lot of time editting on weeknights ~meh.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking about when I was headed to and from the Gregory area today. It's $350 for the drone plus $50 for each extra battery. So I'm not sure if it would be worth is considering the cost especially since for the time being I'm only going to make it down that way for vacation a few times a year.

I think I'd rather put that money in to hiring a guide for a day or just save it for something else.