Fish Bag Recommendations

krfish

Fish Bag Recommendations

Post by krfish »

I’m looking at fish bags instead of dragging fish on a stringer. Any recommendations y’all may have? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Fish Bag Recommendations

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

krfish wrote:I’m looking at fish bags instead of dragging fish on a stringer. Any recommendations y’all may have? Thanks!

Heres a recent post from Shoffer on one he likes really well

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Kalait

Re: Fish Bag Recommendations

Post by Kalait »

Check out Delaware Paddlesports
https://www.delawarepaddlesports.com/de ... bag-large/ Yakety-yak has posted some pictures and is using this bag currently, I am saving to order it in the near future.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I have 2 Delaware Paddle Sports bags- a medium that is 32" long and a large that is 41" long. Made in USA and insulated. Really good bags. For the price it can't be beat. Click in the post below for a TKF discount.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=250108
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Bucees soft sided cooler. $20. Holds more fish and ice than you might think.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

karstopo wrote:Bucees soft sided cooler. $20. Holds more fish and ice than you might think.
Got a picture of the Bucee's cooler?
TexasJim

cRe: Fish Bag Recommendations

Post by TexasJim »

Similar to katstopo's Buccee's soft-side cooler, I use a Sam's Club Member's Mark soft-side, but I made a liner out of silver bubble-wrap insulation(like a car windshield cover), that fills the inside shape of the bag. Instead of using ice, I put four freezer gel-packs in the bottom, and throw my quart water bottle in on top. If I catch a keeper, I take two of the gel-packs out, put the fish in, and replace the gel-packs. They stay cold much longer than ice, and there's no melted ice water to deal with. I think they're lighter than ice by a large margin. A lady that works for my doggie vet gives them away, plus some very good, thick, styro coolers they get meds in. I used 12 coolers to replace the 61-year-old styro flotation in my new/old flats skiff. I got 375 pounds of lift under my 2 seats! Recycle! "One man gathers what another man spills". Jerry Garcia Best, TexasJim
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

To carry my fish home I use a .99 cent Wal Mart "freezer bag" stuffed inside of a Wal Mart insulated bag that costs $5. If the fish tear the freezer bag with their spines I just buy another freezer bag for a buck.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Thanks, going to look into one of these. Trying to get away from a stringer.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

karstopo wrote:Bucees soft sided cooler. $20. Holds more fish and ice than you might think.
They are quite big. I freeze 2 2-liter bottles of water instead of buying ice. And throw in a few water bottles which I usually freeze a couple of those also for drinking. They stay frozen for day and half.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I freeze the gallon sized Hill country Fair clear plastic bottles full of just under a gallon of water. We use distilled water in the coffee makers and that is why we have these bottles. The lid screws on so the water won’t spill out. I’ve also bought the 8,10 or 20# bags of ice. 20# bag does fit in the bucees bag and is a good choice for a long, hot day on the water if you are into that. As you add fish, the ice is melting a little, so the space works out. An 8# bag of ice won’t make it all day or even most of a day on a hot one if you add fish. One time I had to beg for ice from a nearby boat in Cold Pass. I had launched at Ernies and had several fish in the bag and my ice was not going to make it to the paddle back to the launch. The guys in the boat were very nice and gave me ice.

I think if I was on a really long and hot day, I’d do the 2 liter frozen bottles or gallon jug frozen plus some smaller bottles frozen or not for drinking and then several pounds of loose or bagged ice. 8 pounds of solid ice plus 8-10 pounds of loose ice should get through about any day, even with several fish added.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

kickingback wrote:To carry my fish home I use a .99 cent Wal Mart "freezer bag" stuffed inside of a Wal Mart insulated bag that costs $5. If the fish tear the freezer bag with their spines I just buy another freezer bag for a buck.
I used to use the same dollar bags but ran out. Went to my Walmart today to get more and they stopped carrying them. Now they carry one that's similar but costs $3.68. Almost as much as the $5 bags back in the camping section.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I've tried several bags. The bag Karstopo mentioned is prolly the best bag out there for the money. It keeps ice good but is a little small when or if I stumble on a limit of reds. I ended up going with a cooler.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Igloo-48-Qt- ... gIdUvD_BwE

It fits cross ways behind my seat. It definitely adds weight but keeps the fish plenty cold and I don't have to keep replacing a bag when it gets torn. It also fits long ways in the rear tank well of our Pescador Pilots.

A mod I did to this cooler that helps a lot is adding a gasket. Use this gasket maker.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Permatex-Bla ... t/16879902
Apply roughly a 1/4" bead to the cooler where the lid meets. Place some plastic wrap over the gasket maker as a bond breaker and close the lid to form the gasket. Then open the lid remove the plastic wrap and let it cure overnight. Makes a huge difference.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yeah there are so many ways to carry your catch on and off the kayak. Part of why I like to kayak.
Here are pics of the Ozark Trail Bag and the .99 cent freezer bag in it. I keep my fillet knife and glove in the main bag and not in with the fish. Serves two purposes.
krfish

Post by krfish »

Thank you all. Lots of good stuff here