Port O'Connor place to launch

SpikeMike

Port O'Connor place to launch

Post by SpikeMike »

Hello. I just got my first kayak, a Pescador Pro 12. I took it out by Swan Point in Seadrift, despite the really windy conditions this weekend. I had a great time and I can't wait to take it out and actually fish when the wind isn't so bad. I usually take the bay boat out of Port O'Connor and I would like to explore those marshes in the kayak.

Where is a good place to launch a kayak?

If I launch at the Fishing Center, will the kayak get messed with while I go park the truck?

Thanks.
SWFinatic

Re: Port O'Connor place to launch

Post by SWFinatic »

Congrats on your new kayak! That's a well built kayak.

I've fished POC in a kayak once. Launched at Fishing Center on a Saturday. The only time I would ever do that again is if it were on a weekday, in late December! You can launch there and your yak should be fine tied up at the dock while you park it's the boat traffic you'll have to worry about. I'd rather launch at Charlies, anywhere in Powderhorn or even Boggy.
SpikeMike

Post by SpikeMike »

I know what you mean. I don't even launch the bay boat there. I launch at Clark's.

I was thinking that from the Fishing Center, its just crossing the ICW then I'm in the marshes.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Is Froggie's close to marsh access? All the marina's have good parking for all. Clark's is the better as parking is close to ramp.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Launching from the Fishing Center, as said above, can be hairy with the power boats all jostling for position, and once you get across, you can quickly get out of their more common paths of travel, but the paths to the places I would want to fish when launching from there will also be travelled by at least some of the boats.

Powderhorn via Indianola or from the crossing of 1289, that's a good place. Then Boggy, as launched from either the beach south of there or take your truck north to the southern drain of Boggy.

Launcing from Kingfisher Beach and fishingfrom there to the north side of the little jetty
SpikeMike

Post by SpikeMike »

From Froggy's it's a little over a mile to Fishermans Cut and into the marshes. It can be done.

We looked around Powderhorn on Saturday. The wind was just too much, even there. Around Indianola Island looked pretty good, except for the three alligators loitering there.

That's a good tip about the 1289 bridge. I will definitely check that out. Thanks.
SpikeMike

Post by SpikeMike »

Just down the road from Port O'Connor and on the way to Seadrift is Charlie's. Less boat traffic and right across from that are some flats areas and Shoalwater Bay. We took a Grumman Canoe into there last year. So, it should be good for kayaks too.

Another good thing about Charlies is you can launch a kayak from the shore and park the truck right there. That way you're not taking up the boat ramp.
Salaqua

Post by Salaqua »

Good options listed above. Charlie's does not have a ton of traffic, it can be crowded with boats, but the traffic is not that bad. POC is very popular during the summer and attracts all levels of boaters. Launching from there I would recommend being patient, being careful, and being very visible. The Boggy launch is very easy access to the Ranch house shoreline and a few back lakes. Be careful where you park on the Boggy sands, I got stuck in the sand one time.

If launching from any of the boat docks in POC, or other public docks for that matter, it is good to be very prepared before you enter the ramp as a common courtesy for those waiting on you. Charlie's and Boggy do not have this issue because boats don't share the same launch.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Of launching from the fishing Center it's best to have at least two people. That way you can offload off to the side, park your vehicle, and then two people carry the take down the ramp, and launch. It's the least obtrusive way I've launched from there. Also, safety in numbers when crossing the ICW, that place is nuts nearly every weekend.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

There's a free/public kayak launch that is suppose to be secret in POC, but I don't fish during the weekends usually so I don't mind letting you guys know where it's at. The parking is kinda limited, but it's free and legal to park on the roadside. I wouldn't launch from there if you don't want to possibly have a friendly chat with the local game warden when you return since you're practically launching from their front yard. lol

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.437958, ... a=!3m1!1e3

To those of you who didn't know... You're welcome.
To those of you who did... Sorry about the post.

If you launch there PLEASE do not leave your vehicle parked right in the very narrow launch area!!! You are free to park in the available TPWD parking spots outside the fence. Also, if you see any trash in the area; please pick it up. You are being watched by tpwd employees so please make kayakers look good. Don't pee next to your truck either. lmao
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

TrailChaser thanks for that info!
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

TrailChaser wrote:There's a free/public kayak launch that is suppose to be secret in POC, but I don't fish during the weekends usually so I don't mind letting you guys know where it's at. The parking is kinda limited, but it's free and legal to park on the roadside. I wouldn't launch from there if you don't want to possibly have a friendly chat with the local game warden when you return since you're practically launching from their front yard. lol

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.437958, ... a=!3m1!1e3

To those of you who didn't know... You're welcome.
To those of you who did... Sorry about the post.

If you launch there PLEASE do not leave your vehicle parked right in the very narrow launch area!!! You are free to park in the available TPWD parking spots outside the fence. Also, if you see any trash in the area; please pick it up. You are being watched by tpwd employees so please make kayakers look good. Don't pee next to your truck either. lmao

Is the construction done there yet? For awhile, there were construction equipment blocking that area so I had to launch elsewhere.
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Yakety_Yak wrote: Is the construction done there yet? For awhile, there were construction equipment blocking that area so I had to launch elsewhere.
Yes sir, it's back to normal.
SpikeMike

Post by SpikeMike »

Thanks Tailchaser. I was looking for a like button for that.