Fishing Causeway at night and wind speed

razz25

Fishing Causeway at night and wind speed

Post by razz25 »

Is there a specific wind direction or wind speed that tells you not to fish the causeway at night? As the wind picks up it gets choppier. Is there a point when you say, not tonight?
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Fishing Causeway at night and wind speed

Post by shoffer »

I think anything over 15 sustained is too much for me to fish Causeway, especially if the wind is directly through the causeway. Strong tides are also something I watch, because it sucks to try and stay in place and fish while the water or wind is moving you around.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yep, current is your first worry and then wind would be your second. It is a wide pass that all the water empties and fills through the causeway. Before you go check the weather winds at Weather Underground. Then check the tides at Tides 4 fishing.
I don't go there in winds over 10 mph. I check the current to "ride it out or in" depending on direction. Be safe and go with someone.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good information gents. SE winds offer the best protection and 15 MPH is max for me - less is better. And agree that the current can rip thru there. No fun and potentially dangerous. The following link provides real time information on winds, temps, tides etc. I check it when I'm planning on hitting the water in that area.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stati ... id=8771486
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

North and south winds aren't as bad because you have protection from the bridge. A east wind is not great but much better than a west wind. At least you have the structure from the train track for protection on a east wind. There is no protection on a west wind. I agree on the 15 mph sustained winds being the limit but if you are not familiar with the causeway or are new to kayak fishing or even at night, I wouldn't go unless it's under 10 mph. Another thing to consider is when the tides are changing from one direction to another, some of us consider that the washing machine. The reason for this is that when you get tides going from one direction changing to the opposite, it gets very wishy washy and that can create some unnatural conditions that can make a new kayaker or a new person to kayak fishing at night feel nervous as these conditions can cause you to fall off of the kayak. When in doubt, go with a few friends and it wouldn't hurt to carry a VHF radio.
razz25

Post by razz25 »

Thanks for the input. I am not new to fishing but I never have fished the causeway. I was looking for general guidelines from those that have done it. Better to ask than to have no clue what to expect.

I have a friend that has a house on Tiki Island and he recently got his first fishing kayak. I am hoping to get him out there one night.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

if it's too windy for the causeway, hit the lights in Tiki.

I agree with the above all good information on wind direction as well. Under the main causeway the current does move pretty good on decent tides. Be aware that at the railroad bridge cuts it can RIP under / thru them.

Make sure you have lights on your yak and wear that pfd due to the current.