Is CaptJack around?.....TWS...

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Is CaptJack around?.....TWS...

Post by gerald »

I got to see part of the Texas Water Safari and thoroughly enjoyed myself. The whole experience was really something. Longest boat in the race was 40'...shortest was a 10' Pelican. The guy in the Pelican did run, and finish, one of the preliminaries...40 something miles...so he certainly isn't a quiter. I wonder how he is doing. He was one of the guys who ran the chute on the first damn. Came out backwards, but he made it. Saw two canoes get wrapped on rocks at Cottonseed Rapid...and another 6 pile into them. Two got through but the others turned over. Everybody had to portage for awhile until the boats were finally removed. Saw the 5 and 6 man(woman) boats cruise by at Palmetto Park. Very impressive speed and paddling. Now I'm thinking lighter, longer, stronger, more training, more preparation. One thing that did surprise me was the number of paddlers who seemed to lack experience and didn't seem prepared for such a race. That certainly didn't take away from those who were ready. Anyway...had a lot of fun this last weekend. I'll get the few pictures I took posted on my site in the next few days. I salute all those who have attempted the Texas Water Safari.

www.texaspaddler.com
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

It is truly an incredible race.
After looking at some of the finishing times and who placed where- it was a very interesting year.
DeVoglaer and his 9yr old son finished 10th- 3rd tandem unlimited- 1st parent/child. Young Ian is now the youngest finisher of a Safari.
The top female solo paddler beat the 2nd place men's solo by 1min.- incredible!! I would love to have seen Erin & Richard dueling it out across the bay- poor Richard :)
It was the first time in many years that the 1st place solo wasn't in the top ten. You have to realize that there have only been about 250 solo finishes in the history of the race (since 63)
The Cowboys had never finished better than 4th and they finally got themselves a 6man boat and a 2nd place- no surprise the Mynars won, they've totally dominated the race for over 10yrs now.
You have no idea how bummed I was that I couldn't run- always next year- maybe a new faster boat by then :?:
Glad you had a good time :D

Yeap- lots of crazy, not well prepared people out for the grand adventure.
and most are arm paddlers- no clue :lol:
popasan

Post by popasan »

Gerald, thanks for the info ......sounds like you had a great time........and thanks to capt jack for the additional information.......sounds like a bunch of fun........i gotta run that race at least once before i die....... :lol: i gotta get me one of those patches!!