Jonny boat available at ACK...$899.00..Does anyone have one of these crossovers yet?

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Jonny boat available at ACK...$899.00..Does anyone have one of these crossovers yet?

Post by richg99 »

I've seen their advs. for months. If I read them right, it appears that it would be half the price of a SoloSkiff, and would still double up as a paddle yak when needed.

The original pictures showed a trolling motor placed in a pod in front of the paddler, or an outboard motor at the stern. I would like to know if anyone has tried one of these things out????

I have NO RELATIONSHIP with this company.

https://www.austinkayak.com/Jonny-Boats ... E#pdpSpecs
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Jonny boat available at ACK...$899.00..Does anyone have one of these crossovers yet?

Post by kickingback »

That looks cool. I don't know if I would like it only being 10 ft but I bet it's light weight indeed. And would a plastic transom hold up over time? Good find.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Jonny boat available at ACK...$899.00..Does anyone have one of these crossovers yet?

Post by richg99 »

re Transom question....I don't know, but their videos on YT show them tooling around with a small motor on the stern. Somewhere, I read that a Transom Kit would be available soon. (For more $$$$ too, I am sure).

Anyhow, if it did all that they say, I might consider selling my 16 ft tinny and just use this thing. I'm getting too old to haul a full-sized boat around all of the time.

regards, rich
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I know what you mean!!!! :lol:

Let us know if you make the ride yours!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

It would be in the Fall, if it were to happen.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I think I would be more comfy fishing in a 10-foot jon boat. It won't paddle well, but neither will that pseudo-kayak. If you're going to have to title & register a "powerboat", you might as well buy one. A jon boat will slide into a truck bed, and you can carry an ice bag or chest, and they adapt to wheel dollies easily. Jon boat seats are easier on old bodies. TexasJim
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

The JonnyBoat also caught my attention and looks like an awesome concept.

Unlike the SoloSkiff, I really like the fact it includes a comfortable looking seat, is relatively light weight and available in a highly visible color. However, when loaded down with me, a trolling motor, battery, outboard and gear, I doubt it's capable of moving much faster than 4 to 5 mph. And, I just don't see it handling chop near as well as a Solo. Personally, that's a deal breaker because it doesn't give any advantage over the rate I can comfortably paddle and / or pedal my kayak and still relegates the Jonny to a short range watercraft.

Similarly, this is the reason I haven't been able to part with my Gheenoe because it gets me to my favorite distant marshes 2-1/2 times faster than a Solo...for the times when all the close marshes and passes are loaded down with kayakers. Most importantly, this means more time to fish from the comfort of a high back padded swivel seat and bring bring along a fishing buddy. When your middle aged, the creature comforts really add up.