Best line for baitcaster

safarigene

Best line for baitcaster

Post by safarigene »

I plan on heading down to the coast with my Vibe next week. Sister lives in La Porte and will be staying with her. I am trying to get a 13 fishing combo by then, but if not will be using my Lews setup. What would be the best line to put on a baitcaster. Looking to do mostly inshore for reds, trout, flounder, etc.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Best line for baitcaster

Post by Ron Mc »

I'll tell you how I rig mine.
Not fond of braid for casting, but I like it for backing. So I fill the spool halfway with braid - here, 15-lb Yo-Zuri.
I like the Yo-Zuri for this because its coated, though thicker than uncoated braids.
Then finish it up with 12-fluoro - I like Seaguar, and buy bulk spools.
I have just over 200-yds total on this little reel.
If you want even more, go with the finer braids and even 30-lb test.
Others will do theirs differently, and people who fish/cast braid are often adamant.
Even though these reels claim 20-lb drag, most people will never set their drag past 4-5 lbs.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Best line for baitcaster

Post by Neumie »

Both of my baitcasters have 12 lbs P-Line CX Premium Copolymer line. I throw topwaters often and having a line which floats and offers some stretch is beneficial. I tried braid on my baitcasters years ago and even with a leader I didn't like it all that much. I've been using CX Premium for 12-13 years now, love the stuff.

My spinning setup is spooled with 10 lbs braid with a fluorocarbon leader which I mainly use for sight-casting to reds. The thin line lets me cast lightweight lures a mile when targeting reds.