Crab Lake - Bolivar

rgrayson

Crab Lake - Bolivar

Post by rgrayson »

Going to Bolivar tonight to get some fishing in on Friday and Saturday. I was checking out Crab Lake on Google Maps and was wondering if anyone knows how accessible it is. Seems like a dirt road leads back to the marshes. I was hoping to try something different than Stingaree. I imagine it'll be a popular spot this weekend. Thanks in advance.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Crab Lake - Bolivar

Post by Neumie »

rgrayson wrote:Going to Bolivar tonight to get some fishing in on Friday and Saturday. I was checking out Crab Lake on Google Maps and was wondering if anyone knows how accessible it is. Seems like a dirt road leads back to the marshes. I was hoping to try something different than Stingaree. I imagine it'll be a popular spot this weekend. Thanks in advance.
I am not an expert in that area, but the gravel road leading back to Crab Lake is not listed on either Tail Tail Signs, BCKFC, or Paddling.com as an access point. Closest launch site is Stingaree or Lauderdale Ramp.
1texasaggie

Re: Crab Lake - Bolivar

Post by 1texasaggie »

Crab Lake is super shallow, full of crabs and turtles...but can ocassionally hold reds and some monster big uglies.

If you’re referring to the road next to Crab Lake, that’s not gravel and would not recommend trying to access it unless you have a serious off road vehicle. Almost buried my Jeep down to the axle, barely made it out and will not try it again.

It’s best to access that area from Tuna Road. Because it’s so shallow, it’s rare to see anyone else fishing there and will likely have the place to yourself. Before all the ICW dredging, you could ocassionally catch reds there. But it hasn’t produced for me in several years.