Wading Spots

AustinWader

Wading Spots

Post by AustinWader »

Hi everyone,
First of all, On the wade fishing book by Ray Crawford it told to to wade Snake Island/Cove. Should I walk in from the bird sanctuary or is there a closer path? And is it safe there?
He also told he to wade the pier in Cold Pass. I need to Kayak for this spot right? I feel like this spot isn't very safe as it's in a pass and there's a boat cut.
Last, how is Sportsman road right now? I hear it's over-fished and stuff but there's got to be fish right? If I wade here should I wade toward Confederate reef or the marsh to the left?
I appreciate all information, thanks.
Last edited by AustinWader on Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
screwston420

Re: Wading Spots

Post by screwston420 »

end of sportsman road is full of fish i limited out on flounder a couple times in the last month and then reds lastweekend
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Be careful traversing a bird sanctuary. Not really sure which one you're talking about, but nesting birds should not be disturbed. It can get you a hefty fine, if not a dive bombing session from a bunch of PO'd terns. Seriously, that is a good way to make a bunch of birds abandon their nests at a crucial time, possibly causing the death of the chicks.

Otherwise, sadly the number of places you can walk-in wade in West Galveston Bay has dwindled to about 4 from dozens back when Ray wrote that book. I have lost 6 wade in spots since the 90s.

Cold Pass can be waded at that pier, but you have to be mindful of the drop-offs, both from the cut you reference and the Pass itself (currents can be strong, especially on the outside of the bend right there). It is a tried and true place to walk-in and catch all kinds of fish. If you are worried, I'd suggest you take your PFD and wear it.

Sportsman's Road can be hit or miss as far as fishing is concerned. Parking can be tricky, but just obey whatever signs are there. Also, there have been a few break-ins there over the years, but no worse than any other spot on the coast where people leave gear in locked cars. Flounder fishing has been good there for my entire lifetime. I have caught a hundred there if I've caught one. Since they built the breakwaters and marsh restoration projects, I have not spent much time there.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I agree, i'd probably just take your yak and then wade, especially now that it's getting hotter. In the winter you can walk into snake but it's a long walk in and not worth it if you already have a kayak. There's some good wade in spots in Christmas as well and on the Anahuac shoreline in East if you don't mind the drive.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Yaklash wrote:Otherwise, sadly the number of places you can walk-in wade in West Galveston Bay has dwindled to about 4 from dozens back when Ray wrote that book. I have lost 6 wade in spots since the 90s.
Yeah, trend is pretty obvious... I wonder if it can be brought to court? Smth along the lines of harassing anglers by collectively cutting off access? I.e. class action "anglers vs everyone else"... We have lawyers here -- does this have any chance in court? (aim is to force local authorities to preserve access as they develop shorelines)
AustinWader

Post by AustinWader »

Thanks everyone.
I won't be disturbing any birds, there's a road for visitors that allows you to drive in near snake cove. Since it's really a long way out to Snake Island and I don't have a kayak right now should I just stick in the cove?
How do wade in to the Cold pass pier? I see that all the nearby access roads are gated. :x
Last, I'm probably also going to wade Arcadia reef next week. Any tips on fishing here?
Thanks all the great information guys, keep it coming! :D
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

AustinWader wrote:Thanks everyone.
I won't be disturbing any birds, there's a road for visitors that allows you to drive in near snake cove. Since it's really a long way out to Snake Island and I don't have a kayak right now should I just stick in the cove?
How do wade in to the Cold pass pier? I see that all the nearby access roads are gated. :x
Last, I'm probably also going to wade Arcadia reef next week. Any tips on fishing here?
Thanks all the great information guys, keep it coming! :D

Watch out with wading that pier, have soft boots if you're going to wear waders. I got stuck with heavy boots and feel in the water last december. lol. It's not the easiest wade. Do you need 4wd to get to arcadia reef?