Perception Prism

Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Perception Prism

Post by Yaklash »

Those of you who have been kayak fishing for more than 10 years know the Prisms to be what they are, fast, quiet kayaks. I have one that's been in the garage unused for about 6 years. I have a newer kayak down at the fish camp that has a rudder and the Prism just doesn't get used any more. It's in good shape.

Anybody interested in taking it off my hands for a fair price?? Send a PM
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Perception Prism

Post by Kayak Kid »

There are few, if any, SOT plastic kayaks that perform like those older prism's. It is a paddlers kayak and a prized possession for anyone who owns one.

I fully understand the transformation that has taken place over the past 15 years or so. Kayaks have become extremely capable fishing machines and provide a comfortable and efficient fishing platform. The ever increasing cost to own power boats has made kayaking a welcome alternative, providing access to on the water recreation for thousands of folks.

Yet, it I unfortunate that so many of todays kayakers have never experienced the true performance characteristics of kayak paddling. Sitting at or below the water line, and feeling as if you were an integral part of the boat and the surrounding water. Reaching forward to quietly grab a paddle full of water and drawing the paddle almost effortlessly rearward to propel your kayak in a gracefully extended glide that did not end before the next stroke. No power boat, no canoe, and none of the modern kayak fishing machines can duplicate such a rewarding zen enhanced experience as that.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

An even older boat from the same maker when they used a different name - my buddy's Aquaterra Kahuna.
Unstable and extremely fast.
He and this boat were in the first published photos of kayak fishing, from Phil Shook articles in '94, FR&R and Parks & Wildlife.
Between us, our four daughters all learned to solo kayak in this boat, and they all love it to this day.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

One day I want own a vintage fleet of classic SOT kayaks from the late 90's:

Perception (Aquaterra) Prism, Bimini, Illusion, & Napali
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160, Freedom, & The Ride
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro
Necky Dolphin
Heritage Seadart

Yaklash, would love to own your kayak, but my wife would kill me if I brought home a 5th kayak.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Neumie,
You left one of the classics off of your list. The SEDA Revenge I paddled for 13 years was the best paddler of them all. Mine was 17 1'2 ft long, 25 inches wide, and weighed 48 lbs (kevlar). I put many tireless miles gliding through the waters of the Gulf coast with this miraculous kayak. I miss it.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Neumie wrote:Yaklash, would love to own your kayak, but my wife would kill me if I brought home a 5th kayak.
I've got three friends who've said basically the same. A fourth says he doesn't have room for it.
red-thrasher

Post by red-thrasher »

Excellent boat...bought my first one about 20 years ago and loved it. What "fair" price were you looking for? What color is it?
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Yaklash, my very first kayak was a speedy Perception Prism purchased from now-defunct CanoeSports from head B.S. Master Bruce. It took me awhile to feel comfy in that tippy "dart," but soon I was paddling that sucker fast.
Within a month I started hankering for a more stable fishing kayak, so I sold the Prism & bought the first of two barge-like Ocean Kayak Malibu Twos. Those guys were actually "tandem" yaks 34" wide, so kinda slow to paddle, but I loved the stability & wide deck for holding lures, etc.
Saltykat introduced me to Hobie Mirage drives about 2005. Now I'd never be without an Outback or something else to peddle. If you can afford a peddle kayak, it will help your fishing & tired latissimus dorsi muscles, ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

defunct Kokomo Kayak - used to be next door to my office, making it a great place to shop, and still a proud badge on the bow of my Tarpon.
My friends all know my T160 is as stable as I ever want to be, but I just secured an even more unstable play boat,
the last NOS kevlar composite CD Kestrel 140SOT on the planet - 39 lbs and 26" wide, and half-price, even.
I do have a fishing niche for it - it's easy to strap into a power boat and shuttle across Aransas Bay to Fence and Allyn's lakes.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

a original 1990 2-hole Aquaterra Prism with Malcolm Davies at SanLuisPass in 2000
this is the pic we used to make the TKF logo
Malcolm again, is in an original Tarpon = FAST!
Richard Zewe, the founder of TKF in his 2nd gen. 4-hole Prism
and my old Trooper with original Prisms
Attachments
MalcolmTKF.jpg
0763_666.jpg
TKF.jpg
Trooper.jpg
Trooper.jpg (25.49 KiB) Viewed 6952 times
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I still have my first yak ..... Aquaterra "Spectrum" sink ...... this is the hull that they built the Prism sot from if I am not mistaken ... still have the wooden Whisper paddle that I bought with it
Attachments
Spectrum.jpg
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here's my contribution CD Kestrel 140 SOT - OS Demo purchased this month - 39 lbs.
Been making progress on rigging ideas.
and this is the wrong paddle - this boat needs a mid-sized touring paddle - the big thrust of a large-area charging paddle makes it less stable and harder to steer.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Neumie wrote:One day I want own a vintage fleet of classic SOT kayaks from the late 90's:

Perception (Aquaterra) Prism, Bimini, Illusion, & Napali
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160, Freedom, & The Ride
Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro
Necky Dolphin
Heritage Seadart

Yaklash, would love to own your kayak, but my wife would kill me if I brought home a 5th kayak.
I had two Freedom's, original Tarpon (was not called a 160) and the original Ride. Could not fit in the Scupper Pro but also revealing my age.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Perception Pride

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

That’s my brother with his aquaterra prism in the background. He bought it at canoesport in 94 or 95 and still uses it. It was the first yak I ever paddled and that day, somewhere near Santa Fe, with a limit of reds in an inaccessible marsh sealed my yak love forever.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Perception Pride

Post by Ron Mc »

redneckyakclub01 wrote:Image
That’s my brother with his aquaterra prism in the background. He bought it at canoesport in 94 or 95 and still uses it. It was the first yak I ever paddled and that day, somewhere near Santa Fe, with a limit of reds in an inaccessible marsh sealed my yak love forever.
I was able to download your image, add it to my imgur, and post it for you
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Yaklash wrote:Those of you who have been kayak fishing for more than 10 years know the Prisms to be what they are, fast, quiet kayaks. I have one that's been in the garage unused for about 6 years. I have a newer kayak down at the fish camp that has a rudder and the Prism just doesn't get used any more. It's in good shape.

Anybody interested in taking it off my hands for a fair price?? Send a PM
I can move this post to the Classified section if you want.
Tom
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Thanks Tombo, but I think I have a taker and if he doesn't take it, I have a definite second taker.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

calling up this cool recent thread to add a datapoint.
The Europeans still like this type of boat. The Scupper Pro equivalent still being made there is RTM Tempo
14'8", 26" wide, 53 lbs.
https://www.canoe-shops.co.uk/reviews/f ... angler.htm