Spring Flounder Run

AustinWader

Spring Flounder Run

Post by AustinWader »

Hi everyone,
I know there is a Spring Flounder Run, and I know heard reports of the Flounder starting to come back. Can anyone verify this? I am a land based fisherman but I can wade fish too. Should I fish the same spots that have been productive in the Fall Flounder Run like Seawolf park?
Another topic: What are my chances of catching some Trout at Seawolf Park in Spring? It was very productive for me last Summer. Any information is appreciated, thanks.
AustinWader

Re: Spring Flounder Run

Post by AustinWader »

By the way, I am talking about Galveston
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G7mM8Y-3_Q

This guy is always flounder fishing!
Jigawatt

Post by Jigawatt »

It is my understanding, listening to marine biologists and crusty-old fisherman, the Fall flounder run is nothing more than a frantic breeding event. Flounder are actually cold-hearty fish and, as soon as the offshore orgy is complete, late December through early January, the flounder begin to trickle back into the bays. Most of the flounder you catch in the bays are females. Almost all of the flounders you catch during the Fall run are females. Males rarely exceed the 14" minimum limit. Males can be found in the bays, and I have caught them there. But supposedly, a great many of the males stay in the Gulf. Before the 14" minimum limit went into effect, I witnessed a few Summer days where fisherman filled ice chests full of 12" - 14" flounder fishing the rock groins off the Galveston Seawall. These little flounders were full-grown males. I suspect there are a lot of big female flounder in the bays as we speak, but whether or not they are actively feeding, I couldn't say. I think when the beach and bay water temperature approach 70 F, the flounder, along with the gamefish, become active. This increased activity may appear to be a run. I honestly don't think there is a Spring run for flounder. Why would there be? The flounder do not migrate with the pelagics. The flounder only exit the shallow bays to breed, then there's no reason for them not to come back.

Any marine biologists or otherwise flounder experts are free to dispute my logic. I confess to being wrong in opinion on a regular basis.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I don't think Seawolf is anywhere near as good in the spring as in the fall. Over the years, my hunts for spring influx flounder have been most productive along shorelines near San Luis Pass - Cold Pass, Bird Island, Chocolate Bay, but especially the south shoreline of West Galveston Bay. Between Bay Harbour and SLP, they will be spread out, unlike Seawolf in the fall. I work down the shoreline throwing a Johnson Sprite spoon, pumping it as I wade. Wading 300 yards of shoreline, you will usually get a limit.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Agreed! ^^
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

The spring influx of flounder from the gulf starts around early to mid February and last into June. It's a trickle back in and not the flood pouring out on the fall migration out. It starts way before the water reaches 70, but you'll begin to see more shallow when the water gets closer to 70. Yes you can catch flounder right now but it will be better during April fishing typical shoreline reefs and marsh drains off the main bay. Have at it.
AustinWader

Post by AustinWader »

Thanks for the information everyone! :D