Ernie's Bait Barn(The Kayak Put In)

AustinWader

Ernie's Bait Barn(The Kayak Put In)

Post by AustinWader »

Hi everyone,
First post here. I've caught some fish wading but I consider myself a beginner at wading in saltwater. I would like to wade at Ernie's Bait Barn(The Kayak Put In) on March the 21st because there are favorable conditions that day. Does anyone have any tips? What is the minimum distance I have to wade out to catch some fish? I would like to wade as little distance as possible but I still want to catch some fish. Thanks everyone.
Gibby

Re: Ernie's Bait Barn(The Kayak Put In)

Post by Gibby »

Depends on water level. If average or high, I would go to the left about 1000 feet. There is a grass flat that starts there and goes about another 1000 feet. If levels are too low (you will know because this reef will be visible) I would go to the right and fish the boat canal. Both of these can be easily seen on Goggle Earth.
Good luck.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

Is there a map to this put in?
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

Gibby wrote:Depends on water level. If average or high, I would go to the left about 1000 feet. There is a grass flat that starts there and goes about another 1000 feet. If levels are too low (you will know because this reef will be visible) I would go to the right and fish the boat canal. Both of these can be easily seen on Goggle Earth.
Good luck.
Exactly this. I've seen guys just walk straight out and fish along the way until till they reach the boat cut or to deep. And about .4 miles southwest of the road (left of the ramp) you will see a dirt road that they use to get closer to the water and walk out there.
Guys will wade that grass flat out and past or just wade the shoreline looking for reds. Past the grass flats there is a hard sand bar. It is marked by some white pvc posts sticking up. I've seen them tearing it up out there before.
Last edited by Cityfisher on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by TKFStubb »

To get the right map, be sure you get the Hook N Line map for that area with the TKF Logo on the front.
A lot of very experienced kayak fishermen have contributed to making it relavent.