Rockport cold water wade areas

da_karr

Rockport cold water wade areas

Post by da_karr »

I’m heading down to rockport for work currently. Going to be around through the weekend. Shitty weather, I know, but I gotta at least give it a try. Was wondering if anyone has advice on some wade spots that might be good in this cold weather? I have yak too but might not want to battle the conditions on yak. Wading might be easiest. Any info appreciated.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rockport cold water wade areas

Post by Ron Mc »

Both sides of the causeway at Lighthouse Lakes. It's worth the drive to Padre Island National Seashore to wade Bird Island Basin, also the Flour Bluff turnaround on JFK Causeway.

If you take your kayak, at Lighthouse Lakes, just cross over to the trail marker 60 cut (straight across from the gazebo), stake your boat, fish the cut and the channel slope. Great water for reds, specs, black drum, flounder, and sheepshead.
Another very short paddle that could be good is the Brown & Root channel - the first corner where the two channels Tee can fish really well. Toward the far end of B&R channel, there are great places to stake your boat and fish the slope.

If you want to pier fish at night, Conn Brown harbor is good and free. Anybody know, is Fulton Beach Pier back up?
Last edited by Ron Mc on Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

Yah I was thinking some deep channel. I’m sure this cold weather drove em deep
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

Maybe dead mans hole over behind the church? That came to mind
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you're not going to get much deeper than Aransas Channel.
The LHL marker 60 cut goes from chest deep to Aransas Channel, plus you have the cut there draining most of LHL

Even the long-drive JFK Causeway and PINS BIB are along the edge of ICW channel.
There's also a pretty good pier on the south end of JFK Causeway that fishes right into the ICW.

Dead Man's Hole is also a good choice - will probably stack up reds in the cold snap.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Honestly, It's not that cold. Yeah it's snow flurries in Austin today but it will be short lived. Fish some boat canals or wade the edge of the ICW but there are still plenty of fish in 3'-5'.
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

Stopped deadman’s hole, over behind the church, for a little bit and waded out. Stuck two just undersized reds. They were chunky though. Wind was ripping right into my face. Surprisingly I did see bait and that was where I caught the 2 fish. It was pretty damn cold though. Going to try another spot later or tomorrow
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Didn't know you would be fishing farther south towards Corpus, I would have made more suggestions.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The Fulton Pier is still as it was the day after Hurricane Harvey visited. A total wreck.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks - that's a shame, it was a good pier and was a ritual with my girls growing up
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it's not getting out of the 30s tomorrow, and turns to rain on Sunday when the wind comes back from the east.

edit for weather - got up to 30 degrees and thunderstorms this morning - never seen that
Last edited by Ron Mc on Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
da_karr

Post by da_karr »

Nuemie- I was working outside of corpus and decided to swing that direction and take the ferry to miss corpus traffic. I’m going to check it out tomorrow. Might be shity.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Park at Fin and Feather off of 361 heading towards Port A. Gives you two options according to the wind. Go towards Steadmans reef and cast away towards Port A or walk across the bridge and fish the island.