Offatts kayaking

TxAquatics

Offatts kayaking

Post by TxAquatics »

Hey everyone, Happy New Year. I've seen only a few posts here and there at Offatts. I was planning a trip this month, will be my first time. Really want to check it out for it's depth, should hold fish in winter. Any tips would be much appreciated. I plan on launching at 61st ramp, would y'all recommend heading left (Moody garden) or right (45)???
OUTLAW

Re: Offatts kayaking

Post by OUTLAW »

Put the navonics app on your phone. I like the area around the big reef. There’s a marsh area, mud flat and deeper water all close. Water is gin clear now with about 4’ visibility. I’m still trying to figure out how to do well there. It happens I just haven’t caught it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

There are deep holes in Offats up to 30+ feet, but that ultra-clear water can work against you. In Offats you can catch fish if you find moderate trout-green water, or look for drifting "mud-lines" that sometimes attract bait & fish.
Several years ago in my kayak I found a 20+ft. hole in cold water (close to the Moody Pyramid) that held a mess of legal speckled trout. I made 10 casts with my trusty Johnson Sprite silver spoon, & landed 8 solid trout. Bam!
But in two trips since, I encountered that ultra-clear Offats water & got skunked. Go when you've got off-color "green" water. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Thanks for the replies. I'll put them to good use, if I do go I'll report... even a skunk.