Topwater PDL taking on the Galveston Marsh

texasrxangler

Topwater PDL taking on the Galveston Marsh

Post by texasrxangler »

It’s always a blast to catch reds. Hope you guys enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qEXQQOEUNq0
1texasaggie

Re: Topwater PDL taking on the Galveston Marsh

Post by 1texasaggie »

Nice video and especially like the drone footage. Your video has inspired me to get a Mavic b/c my Phantom is just too big for a kayak. Lol.

Looks like a fun day fishing. Perhaps the Topwater is just a different animal than the Predator, but I would try to reach out to other local Old Town owners for a comparison and make sure there’s nothing wrong with your PDL drive.

The thing that immediately impressed me about the Predator PDL was how fast and effortless it is compared to other pedal drives, including the Hobie. If you’ve owned a Hobie in the past and think the Old Town is stiff by comparison, I would certainly want to get it checked out. Regardless, the drive has an amazing warranty and Old Town is the probably best kayak company I’ve ever dealt with. The cool thing is they are also Minn Kota, so you’ll want to contact them anyway and pick up some extra props, sheer pins and locking latches. They’re also Humminbird, so they’ll swap out transducers to better suit your PDL if you get a fish finder.

Admittedly, my Predator PDL is not as stable as the Pro Angler or Coosa FD, and I haven’t been on some of the newer pedal drives like your Topwater, the Pelican or Wilderness. Nevertheless, my PDL drive was incredibly smooth right out of the box and remained that way....even after running it into a submerged tree at 5.5 mph, coming to a complete stop and launching me out of my seat. I’m not exactly ready to part with my Native Propel yet, but the Old Town is a truly amazing kayak by comparison.
texasrxangler

Re: Topwater PDL taking on the Galveston Marsh

Post by texasrxangler »

1texasaggie wrote:Nice video and especially like the drone footage. Your video has inspired me to get a Mavic b/c my Phantom is just too big for a kayak. Lol.

Looks like a fun day fishing. Perhaps the Topwater is just a different animal than the Predator, but I would try to reach out to other local Old Town owners for a comparison and make sure there’s nothing wrong with your PDL drive.

The thing that immediately impressed me about the Predator PDL was how fast and effortless it is compared to other pedal drives, including the Hobie. If you’ve owned a Hobie in the past and think the Old Town is stiff by comparison, I would certainly want to get it checked out. Regardless, the drive has an amazing warranty and Old Town is the probably best kayak company I’ve ever dealt with. The cool thing is they are also Minn Kota, so you’ll want to contact them anyway and pick up some extra props, sheer pins and locking latches. They’re also Humminbird, so they’ll swap out transducers to better suit your PDL if you get a fish finder.

Admittedly, my Predator PDL is not as stable as the Pro Angler or Coosa FD, and I haven’t been on some of the newer pedal drives like your Topwater, the Pelican or Wilderness. Nevertheless, my PDL drive was incredibly smooth right out of the box and remained that way....even after running it into a submerged tree at 5.5 mph, coming to a complete stop and launching me out of my seat. I’m not exactly ready to part with my Native Propel yet, but the Old Town is a truly amazing kayak by comparison.
Good stuff! Glad you are enjoying the footage. The Mavic Pro has been great for me.

The drive is much better now that I’ve put some time on the water. It’s a noticeable difference from when I first took it out on its maiden voyage compared to today. I’m truly impressed with this platform. I do have the 2018 Outback and both have their pros/cons. However, for the money the Topwater PDL is a great platform. I don’t see myself parting with it any time soon.

I am aware that Johnson Outdoor owns Old Town, Humminbird and Minn Kota. That’s why I decided to take on the offer to review it and use it on my channel. The company has been great to me so far. No complaints.