My 1000th Post

shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

My 1000th Post

Post by shoffer »

This is it. 1000 posts. Nearly 8 years in the making.

I think a fitting tribute would be to express my appreciation for this site and its members. 8 years ago, I could count the number of times I had truly fished on one hand - a couple trips with high school friends up to Lake Sam Rayburn, once in law school on a bass pond at a private bass club, and once in Sabine Lake with my brother. In 2009, I decided to throw a red craw crankbait into a little pond by my mom’s house in the Woodlands, and quickly landed a two pound hard fighting bass, which re-ignited in me that love of a tug on the end of the line.

From there, I borrowed a co-worker’s 9 foot Ocean Kayak Frenzy, hit Google Earth and Google Maps, and tried to find low-pressure ponds around Houston where no one else fished. After finding a couple of gems, I had a ball catching (and releasing) bass after bass (while admittedly and blatantly trespassing on someone's private property). After a sheriff’s deputy ran me off one of my favorite ponds (because some a-hole homeowner called, I suppose), I decided to try the saltwater game, since the water was public and no one could banish me from there. And that is what led me to this day.

I have probably now kayak fished 200 trips over that 8 years, and have become what I believe to be an experienced kayak angler and a damn good fisherman, but I could not have done any of it but for this board and its members’ willingness to share their knowledge. While I have been on dozens of guided trips too, I still think that there is no better way to hook a fish than doing it from the seat of a little plastic boat.

I have learned so much from this board beyond just fishing tips. I have learned how to upgrade Hobies, build kayak trailers, wire a boat for lights and trolling motors, modify trolling motors and a host of other skills I never would have learned but for this board. From this board, I have met some of the best people I have ever met and I have spent countless hours enjoying the thoughts from our community.

So, thanks to all of the guys I have met and fished with on this board - my best fishing buddy DandyDon, along with SaltyKat, KickingBack, MWatson71, YakRunabout, Mythman, MTStringer, Scott Null, TGuff, and yes, even that ungrateful bastard, Chicken.

Thanks to posters old and new that have kept the board entertaining, informative and lively - JPChavez, Acoustic Tennis, Prof. Salt, Tobin “trousupport.com” Strickland, Yaklash, Karstopo, Kayak Kid, potlicker, kneecap, Rich99, Scott Null “letsgo”, pdt818 (Jerron), Dean “Slowride”, Cuervo Jones, and countless others, but a special thanks to my all-time favorite, “capt carl”, whose “Lovin on Momma” post boasts, in my view, the highest entertainment value per word of any post I have ever seen:
Lovin on momma.JPG
Lovin on momma.JPG (43.85 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
Thanks to a couple of you knuckleheads (who shall remain nameless) who seem to have a penchant for posting nothing but failures and stupid things you have done - your posts have educated some and entertained others. And, in a related category, thanks to those of you whose poor grammar helps teach others how to avoid looking stupid - ("I seen a(n) [insert noun]" as opposed to “I saw a(n) [insert noun]” is perhaps the most frustrating one I "see" from time to time).

And finally, thanks to all of you for the memorable fights and posts, which are, in no particular order:

1. The “anal fin” caper where Tino “AcousticTennis” was accused of posting multiple pictures of the same fish, judging by the anal fin on the trout in the pictures: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=174793

2. The snafu where new member “Carsautotech” proudly posted a picture of at least four clearly undersized redfish on the bed of his truck that he caught (in a post entitled “Hit the Mother Load (Kemah Flats) 6/27/2011”) and, when called out on it, tried to lie his way out of it (said that he threw them back, they really were not dead, etc.) and then, after being lambasted for that, changed his name on the board: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=164979

3. “Don’t bump the reef, Fools” http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=228744

4. The board’s “me-too” moment, where Kelsea, the young spearfishing chick from California who, upon posting for the first (and last) time, was inundated with multiple invites to fish, and a couple of marriage proposals, from all you horn-dogs (http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 8&t=170686)
Capture1.JPG
5. My 28 inch trout and magazine photo (Thanks, DandyDon!) - http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=245771

6. The Old Man T beat-down, where he attempted to insult Scott Null for posting a non-kayak fishing report and got hammered for it – and then my rants against Old Man T's poor grammar were deleted by moderator Ms. Addicted - http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 1#p1807711

6. DandyDon calling Tguff and SaltyKat “gay” - http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... ?p=1882906

7. And overall, the nondescript but highly entertaining politically incorrect terms, the name-calling, and the smarmy sarcasm from all of you Keyboard Warriors and Junior Game Wardens out there.

It has been a great 1000 posts so far and I hope that this board, and I, will be around for many thousands more.

Now, I am going to get to "lovin' on mamma" so I can get another trip in before the year is out.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: My 1000th Post

Post by Dandydon »

I'm playing a round of competitive disc golf now, so for now shall just say "Thanks for all the terrific TKF fishing reports & posts, Capt. Shoffer!"
Fishing with you has made me better & younger.
Now let's keep our tentative fishing date with Mr. Tobin Strickland this Tuesday! I predict another of your epic fishing posts!
Tight lines & relaxing Man-Naps to all!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'll toast you with a shot of rum in my coffee. Those playing frisbee golf may want to join me.

And the best scene in Holy Grail ended with "I bet you're gay"
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

What kind of loser posts that much on a fishing board? Is that you in the photo shoffer? You’re younger than I imagined and more female. I seen lot’s of bad grammar and spelling, and punktooashun on the board’s’s, but irregardless: I could care less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Kudos to Cuervo's biting sarcasm & irrepressible sense of humor.
I'll answer his pressing question.
No, that was Shoffer's DAUGHTER in the photo, and at least she doesn't have fat, gnarly hands!
IMG_7527.jpg

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Ya' got a way to go. I just noticed that I'm over 25,000 posts. Adds up to 16 years of fun chats.

The years of kayak fishing with the many true sportsmen and women associated with TKF has added so very much to the enjoyment of life. I may have slowed down a bit physically during the past couple of years, but the vicarious enjoyment I've received from the photos and fishing stories posted on TKF have kept me close to, and involved with, the activity of kayak fishing that I so dearly love.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Ten/four on your precious "Senior citizen" kayak memories, KK! I'm on Medicare, too, but kayak-fishing & crushing my opponents in Kung Fu matches helps me stay young.
I'll retire from fishing when anybody on this board can beat me up... Looks like another decade to go! Yay!
IMG_7528.jpg

Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Dandydon wrote:Kudos to Cuervo's biting sarcasm & irrepressible sense of humor.
I'll answer his pressing question.
No, that was Shoffer's DAUGHTER in the photo, and at least she doesn't have fat, gnarly hands!
IMG_7527.jpg

This isn’t about your obsessive infatuation with my powerful, manly, non-napping, fish-fondling hands, dandiest of Dons. It’s a celebration of shoffer’s questionable, though oddly self-satisfying accomplishment of posting 10 posts onto a forum one HUNDRED times.

YakRunabout

Post by YakRunabout »

Shoffer - in honor of your 1K here is a little lady that I am sure you have seen since she used to live in one of your west bay areas. She moved out some time ago - perhaps she moved in with you?

I took the picture to try to entice some of my land-lubber friends into trying out kayak fishing. They apparently did not buy that we ran across her in the marsh! Perhaps the classic image in the reflection gave that away!!

Keep the posts coming - onward to 2K!
Attachments
0609171221.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

1000... :clap:

I enjoy your reports and fishing with you! Keep em coming Captain Shoffer!
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Thanks, Guys.

And DandyDon is pulling your legs. Lest there be any confusion, the young lady's picture I posted with the redfish was Kelsea - the young lady from California who posted once and was greeted with so much male attention that she lost interest in our community very quickly. Here is her first and last visit to the board:
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (29.69 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Great 1,000th post. It was fun going back on through the links you posted; I missed out on a lot of fun posts.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Congrats shoffer!

And your post was, well in a word, Amusing Musing! :lol:
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Cuervo Jones wrote:It’s a celebration of shoffer’s questionable, though oddly self-satisfying, accomplishment of posting 10 posts onto a forum one HUNDRED times.
I cannot tell if this is an example of Cuervo's trademark sarcasm, or him just being a dick.

If the former, then Cuervo, I salute you, your sarcasm, your fertile imagination and those slutty marsh witches of which you are so fond.

If the latter, then your post is Exhibit A of why you find yourself fishing alone all the time.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

probably a bad idea to square off with an atty in a battle of words - you lose even when they're complimenting you.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Let's just say it's funny how Queervo always fishes ALONE & never shows a photo of himself (other than his fat, manicured hands).
Obviously he's a kayaking trans-gender like Caitlyn Jenner who is too embarrassed to come clean!
Yes, the truth hurts, folks.
See below...
IMG_7531.jpg

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

and never get a pack of attys riled
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:lol: :wink:
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I should have known lawyers would be obsessed with cross dressing perversion and the like. Weird people you guys are.
But shoffer is correct, I am a horrible person and despite all my efforts to find fishing pals here on TKF, I am doomed to kayak and catch fish all alone. I am very sad about missing out on all the fun and antics. Clearly this online joint just isn’t for me anymore. It’s not you, TKF. It’s me.

kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Reality :lol:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »