Pt. Comfort Waterfront Park

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Pt. Comfort Waterfront Park

Post by texnomad »

What can I find out about launching and fishing from waterfront Park in Pt. Comfort Tx?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Pt. Comfort Waterfront Park

Post by Ron Mc »

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

texnomad wrote:What can I find out about launching and fishing from waterfront Park in Pt. Comfort Tx?
What do you want to know?
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc wrote:Call them? Is this it?
http://www.waterfrontrv.com/about.html
I think he's referring to the small park with boat ramp across the causeway in Point Comfort: 905 Lamar St, Point Comfort, TX 77978.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

thanks, it wouldn't google for me
sounds like with a boat ramp, it's ready to launch
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Just an FYI, back in the early 90s there was known pollution and a ban on keeping fish around the Alcoa facility up there, heavy metals of some kind. I have no idea about today's world around there, I haven't been around there in about the last 20 years or so. .....cC
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

The place is at the end of Lamar street in Point Comfort Texas and named Waterfront Park according to Google Maps. I had not noticed it before. I was looking for the usual information about safe parking, fishing areas, launch conditions etc. I will not get back over there for at least a week from now so I was hoping to go back there with more knowledge than I have at this time. Apparently it is not well known. Thanks for the help.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

texnomad wrote:The place is at the end of Lamar street in Point Comfort Texas and named Waterfront Park according to Google Maps. I had not noticed it before. I was looking for the usual information about safe parking, fishing areas, launch conditions etc. I will not get back over there for at least a week from now so I was hoping to go back there with more knowledge than I have at this time. Apparently it is not well known. Thanks for the help.
I've fished there about a dozen times and I've never had issues or herd of any issues using the park. The parking lot is lit (at least it was the last time I was there several years ago) and there's a bathroom there as well. You'll have to launch your kayak from the ramp since all the waterfront is either bulkhead or rocky jetties.

If you set your Google Earth Imagery to 2009 (or 2013) you'll see white spots, which are shell. During the winter months those are all typically exposed and the water around them is fairly shallow. Your best bet is to head towards the island directly across from the ramp and into the Lavaca River; just under 1 mile paddle. The Lavaca River is a fantastic winter time fishery as game fish use it to shelter from the cold bay waters of winter. Quite a few boaters and yakers launch up the Lavaca River at FM 616 ramp to fish during the colder months.

The marshes north of the ramp (to the east of the river) are a lot of fun to explore if there's enough water to paddle in them. The sloughs connecting the lakes are deep enough to paddle and do hold fish even if the lakes are dry. Reds will hangout in there and either ambush bait on falling tides or wait to get into the lakes on a rising tide.

Its a great area to fish and explore and doesn't really get as hammered as other locations. 6 Mile ramp on the other side of the bay is another good spot to launch and fish Garcitas an Placedo creeks to the north. Or you can pay (it was $5 awhile back) and launch at Schlebachs and fish farther back into Placedo Creek.
CopanoCruisin wrote:Just an FYI, back in the early 90s there was known pollution and a ban on keeping fish around the Alcoa facility up there, heavy metals of some kind. I have no idea about today's world around there, I haven't been around there in about the last 20 years or so. .....cC
I wouldn't worry too much about consuming fish from the Lavaca River area as the banned area is on ther otherside of the causeway immediately next to the ALCOA plant (Map). I probably wouldn't eat fish from there everyday, but if you treat the fish you catch there the same as you would, say for, Kingfish (which has elevated concentrations of mercury, and DSHS says you should only eat 2 servings a month), there should be no concern for illness. I'm fine....I think. I mean, I'm not growing a third eye or arm.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Thank you for all the great info. Now all I have to do is drive for a bit over an hour to get there again. It is fun exploring new country.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Good advice from Neumie. It's a pretty good launch area and is generally safe. Also might check out possible YouTube videos. I think both MDLR Fishing (Mark) and TrailChaser (David) have been there and have videos from this past year. Have fun and let us know how it goes!