Geeking out on NOAA tide drop

crusher

Geeking out on NOAA tide drop

Post by crusher »

The major tide drop finally happened the last day or so.
dropped-tides.JPG
Looks like about 4 feet total from high tide late Sun night to low tide Tuesday morning.
For cold weather kayakers willing to find the guts and holes today or tomorrow, I'm sure there's fish piled up in the holes.

I searched last year's tides, and the first big drop was a few weeks earlier, Oct 21 to the 24 or 25th.
2017-first-drop.JPG
For people that keep good notes, I wonder if their good late Oct trip from last year can be repeated about now.

I waste too much time looking at this stuff I think.

All this info is available here: https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/stati ... ter+Levels
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Geeking out on NOAA tide drop

Post by karstopo »

I was still keeping a fishing log last year, I’ll have to check and see if I fished then, log is at the office. That was still in the post Harvey time and I didn’t Fish a lot. Plus, I was about to get my new right hip and my old hip was causing a lot of problems at that point.

Here’s Eagle Point with screen shots of the salinity and water temperatures for November 3rd -November 14, one shot for 2017 and the other this year.

Look how much saltier it was last year. Take the graph back to when Harvey hit and the Salinity goes to almost zero, but by November of 2017, it rebounded to what the numbers are on this screen shot.

The two years water levels November 3-14 at the same station for the same time frame.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The salinity (conductivity) at Eagle point from just before Harvey until about 3 weeks after. It was saltier in the bay at Eagle Point 2-3 weeks after Harvey than it is now.

Let that sink in, we’ve had a boat load of rain this fall.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I would say looking at the harmonic constituent of the tide, it's really a flood drop - finally running out of freshwater discharge from October rains. Of course, a good thing.

I learned something about coastal currents on my trip last week. Even though Lower Laguna Madre has no freshwater inlets, it was just as choked with high tides and freshwater as the rest of the bays. Only explanation is Gulf Stream currents. As the flooding enters the Gulf, it heads south down the coast and pours back into the cuts.
That also suggests the upper coast should be fastest to recover from flooding.