Spoon under Popping cork

texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Spoon under Popping cork

Post by texnomad »

After hanging several spoons on the rocks at jetties and other bulkheads trying to fish close to the rocks during the last week in Rockport, I had a brilliant? idea. Use a popping cork and let it keep the spoon at the right depth as I reel it in. Has anyone tried this foolish notion? If so any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you.
zehtx6767

Re: Spoon under Popping cork

Post by zehtx6767 »

Interesting... Also would add some weight if casting into heavy wind. Curious if anyone has tried this as well. I’m sure it’s been done, but would like to see how the results were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
crusher

Post by crusher »

Going out on a limb here, maybe a sliding cork or a smaller cigar cork rather than a popping cork. I am imagining the less weight of the sliding cork with your .5 or .75 oz spoon would be good and some how I am seeing it a little more conducive to a retrieve to get the spoon action. I don't know...just speculating nomad. Give something a try and let us know, you've got some interest here.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Some dumb fish may hit it but there probably has to be many fish for one to bite a hanging spoon. The spoon is made with a "wobble" when retrieved so the "flash" attracts the fish. It is moving fast enough to be a "blur" to fish making them think it is bait and hit it. Just hanging it may not give the flash needed to entice a bite. Try using a hard lure with the eye on top so the bait hangs naturally and when you "pop" the cork the lure will move a bit. The Halco Max 130 is a perfect lure for offshore by the rigs for me when I drop it straight down. It should be good under a cork. just have to be able to cast without the hooks tangling the line on casting.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

No hanging involved. The float is to control the depth as the spoon is retrieved over the rocks and debris as usual.
t-ferg

Post by t-ferg »

Excellent idea. I haven't tried it myself but I have heard of this. I think on the leader between the popping cork and spoon they don't use a swivel. This allows the line to twist and untwist creating tremendous flash and spinning action on the spoon.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I never use a swivel or have trouble with twist so I may accidentally be doing something right for a change.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I finally got to try out the theory. It works very well. The detail that turned out to be important is that the length of line from the float to the spoon has a minimum distance to allow the spoon to work normally. For the float I was using (a Cajun thunder popping cork) the float to spoon needed to be at least 12 inches for a Johnson sprite. For the Johnson Silver minnow about 15 inches was the minimum. 1/4 and 1/2 ounce spoons both needed essentially the same distance from the float. This is about the same as I found for swim baits.

A surprising item to me was that using the popping cork like a popping cork put unreal exciting action on the spoon.
The general concept of lure depth control for shallower water <4 feet seems to be valid for the Johnson spoons anyway.

Now I need the rains to stop so I can get down to a jetty and pull in some biguns.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

The National Weather Liars(you know, the guys with no clue nor a window) say Thursday. Hah! By the time Thursday gets here, they'll change their forecast to rain. This has been an amazing Sept. and Oct. The dirt in my yard is growing mold.

Did you ever get a kayak? My friend and I have three different 11 to 12-footers you could paddle test. We've got cabin fever so bad, we're ready to paddle even in the rain! Aransas Pass Aquatic Park launch is always do-able.
TexasJim in Lake Rockport
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Thank you for the offer on the yaks. I have owned about 40 yaks since my first one about 1980 so it is not a case of deciding on which one. At Rockport I have 4 yaks available and in north Alabama I have three available. The Aquatic center has been a long time favorite launching location for me in the past. I have been enjoying a lot more shallow wade fishing this last year and a half.
Ciguatera

Post by Ciguatera »

What I've done before and had good luck is rig a spoon under a bubble rig. Pulling the bubble creates a lot of commotion that can attract attention. Same idea as a popping cork except the bubble rig is less visible.

This page has info on bubble rigs, I just used a spoon instead of a straw:
https://www.fishingdestinguide.com/FISH ... kerel.html
don.owen

Post by don.owen »

I guess the concept of a float to keep your "Bait" at a given depth has been around for centuries. I use little indicators to suspend my fly just off the bottom all the time. I know from experience that the bigger, heavier fly I use the more likely I am to encounter a mechanical issue in the form of a tangled leader. Not being an expert Texas fisherman I would still have to think that using a streamlined float would be more efficient.

My question would be, are you trying to preserve the action of the spoon or present a shiny hanging weight under an attention getting float? Just asking as I'll be in the CC area this winter and plan to fish the jetties in the area.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

My original concept was just depth control of the spoon. Since then it is apparent that the float could also be used as an attention getter for the spoon. Lots of opportunities for innovation it seems.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Certainly an idea worth trying. I agree with one of the replies above about what type of action is best for a spoon – constant movement with a few twitches here and there – but know that some types of fishing do include jigging large spoons. I guess my thoughts would also tend towards using a cork to control depth, but with a different bait below it, like a Gulp! Swimming Mullet or shrimp imitation lure.

I also think that there are other baits, like crank baits, that float until you pull on them. Different ones dive to different depths, mostly used for bass, but they hit structure and tend to not get the hooks hung up.

So I guess I’m wondering if there isn’t a more time tested approach to fishing the jetties with lures that don’t get hung up on the rocks.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

In the past I normally used popping corks in the normal way with the normal jigs or live bait. But I wanted to give this a whirl and see what it worked out like. It was fun.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Not an insane idea.. some guys in Sabine use popping corks with their corkies.. to keep it above the oyster.. saves a $10 corky..LOL. and they catch fish that way too. I do agree with Kicking back in that it's good to keep it moving.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Looks like a variant of mackerel rig, only with spoon instead of a jig
Bayou Burner

Post by Bayou Burner »

It works- One of my Grandpas old fishing buddy’s used to do this all the time on Chocolate Bayou. Caught plenty of fish too. Wave action, drifting, and tide/currents will keep that dude flashing. I’ve read a article in Texas Saltwater Fishing Mag. Awhile back that had Capt. Steve Hillman tieing on a rattle trap under a cigar float to keep off shell, I’m sure it would work.