Sup vs kayak

Cody2306

Sup vs kayak

Post by Cody2306 »

Hey will be in the market to get back on a yak or a sup. I use to have a sg130 and loved it. Image. I ended up selling it. And now I’m back in the market . I mostly fish the bay and marsh. I been eyeballing the bote hd sup. But I don’t know much about them. Are they slower than a yak? I’m having a hard time deciding on the bote hd and a used outback. What are Yalls thought. Oh yeah one of the main reasons I was looking into the sup was because they are a bit lighter than a yak. And I live in an upstairs apt where I always had to have nobody help me get my yak up and down. And with the sup I should be able to do that on my own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chubs

Re: Sup vs kayak

Post by Chubs »

I was eyeballing the fishing SUP from sea eagle

https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingSUPs/FS126

In the end though I passed. I think it would have been stable enough, probably could have put a small yeti on there as a seat too. Get the trolling motor too and have good range.

My problem was it's a single air chamber. They are pretty tough (i got a sample of their material, it is tough) but I'd prefer multiple air chambers for an inflatable so there is some amount of redundancy if an oyster has its way with a hull.

I got the inflatable fishing kayak 385 I think. Got for similar reasons as your concerns (space constraints in an RV). I've not had it out yet for a test run but will soon.
Cody2306

Post by Cody2306 »

Awsome thanks for sharing

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Standing up while fishing is a game changer or it was for me. If you spot and stalk, you can’t beat being elevated for seeing what’s around. I could never go back to sitting and fishing.

I’ve never have tried a SUP. I’d be concerned about not having places to put stuff, but I guess I could cut out some of the things I bring along. I do like to sit and paddle when I’m moving from one place to another. How does a SUP handle paddles between places of a mile or more? I don’t like the idea of water and wind washing and blowing stuff like fly line off the deck. I don’t want a platform that’s only good in light winds or calm conditions.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

If I really wanted to stand, I'd spring for a Diablo and add a skeg for wind control.
Tinkered with these a few years ago at TG, they're really stable and easy to stand.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Throwing out another choice, the Native Versa. Paddles well for a SUP, the seat makes the difference. The seat sits up in a cradle and rotates 360 degrees.
water in my beer

Post by water in my beer »

I have an armada of SUP's and my favorites are my BOTE's Board. However, I use mine for just paddling out in the gulf but also use them for fishing. They are great for quick trips and are easier to store and handle than a kayak. I would warn you that if plan on using the BOTE for long all day fishing trips I would probably get a hybrid or stick with the kayak, it just depends how long you are on the water. We usually just do a couple of hour family trips so we don't bring a bunch of stuff. The BOTEs do come with a bunch of accessories for storing and they look bad ass, but the standard board is not the most rugged. Almost all of mine have cracks and to get them repaired you have to take them to a boat repair shop and no one carries the material to fix them so they have to call BOTE and request it. They also are so detailed in there paint jobs that they have to get the paint codes to match it. They do make a gatorshell model that is very durable but it cost more. The balance is great and they handle well but half the time I just sit on them and put my legs in the water. If you get a BOTE spring for the sock cover or the bag to protect it. For fishing get the HD or Rackham. They offer the most connection point for rod and cooler racks. Three brothers also makes a great board but doesn't have nearly the accessories that other brands have.
Cody2306

Post by Cody2306 »

I’ve decided I’m gonna stick with a yak and get the compass. It’s more versatile.