Stone enclosures across from Texas City Dike

IDIVEMIKE

Stone enclosures across from Texas City Dike

Post by IDIVEMIKE »

What are they?
Has anyone fished IN them?

I've checked them out a bit and seen people fishing the spillways that dump water out of them. I've checked out the spillway and they are shallow and rocky, you could drag a kayak across one easily enough.

What are your thoughts?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 5.26.05 PM.png
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Stone enclosures across from Texas City Dike

Post by kickingback »

You can fish it on high tide and you can drag you kayak across if needed but will be hard. If the tide is going out the water rushes out "pretty fast" same for incoming tide. So you need to time it to go in or out on slack and then back out on the tide either side. However, I do not go in the area as the fish usually congregate at the opening on outgoing tide and the fish are ambushing the out rushing bait from the area. I've caught trout reds and flounder at the openings on the right tide at the right time. You can see the bait jumping there as well.
The reason I don't g in is I studied the GE images in the history and they look shallow and featureless and sandy which I figured fish would not venture into but I could be wrong. There may be some kind of crustaceans in the sand and mud in there but I think that is why the fish hang at the openings. Also I didn't want to get in there and have to go all the way around on a single tide.
That whole area around the out side of them is good fishing with the rock y slopes going down to deeper areas. The banks around Shoal Point ( the island where the barges park across from dike) are also good fishing for big reds, trout, flounder, and a few other large species fish being that the deep ship channel is close by.
Check out YouTube videos for kayaking Texas city dike and you will find many good videos of spots over there to fish. Good luck!
Mulligan

Re: Stone enclosures across from Texas City Dike

Post by Mulligan »

It looks like they are getting ready to dredge the TXC ship channel. Those enclosures are where they pump in the dredged material from the channel bottom. You can see the similar activities going on further north near Morgan's point in Atkin's Island.

Not sure if they started the dredging operation, but I'd assume once that starts, all them critters from the mud/silt will start spewing out through the baffles/openings.