Wake bait redfish

GotOne

Wake bait redfish

Post by GotOne »

Always been a fan of the Mann's Waker but they have been discontinued. Got a BPS Offshore Angler wake bait to replace the Manns and have found them to be almost identical in shape, size and action. I put this to the test this past weekend. The water was high so there was a lot of covered grass which is ideal for this type bait. Caught 3 slot reds quickly using my well worn clown colored Mann's waker so I switched over to the BPS OSA in gold/black. Same deal as the Mann's, explosive bites! Decided to swap to the SP Hunchback (Robert Redhead) and only got a couple of swipes at, but no hookups (larger bait, different action, same sound) . Back to the Mann's and again, redfish bonanza. Finally, tried out the smaller Academy saltwater wake bait in mullet color and found them to be effective however their light weight limited my cast distance. My final experiment was with the Heddon Swim'n image lures in various colors and did not even get a look from a redfish. I suppose their slim outline and higher pitched rattle was not to their liking. I did not swap back to the Mann's to confirm this as the day was getting late and I had my fill of fishing. So, if you're looking to replace your Manns waker, the BPS OSA wake bait appears to be the ticket
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Wake bait redfish

Post by Neumie »

I don't know for 100% certainty, but it appears BP purchased the molds or baits from Mann and sell them under their label. There's too much similarity between the two baits that makes it easy to make the connection. Especially since Mann's no loner sells the Waker.

The Hunchback and Waker are great larger profile-large wake wake baits. The Mann's Babay 1-Minus and Bandit Footloose are are really good smaller profile-subtler wake baits. I've also had success with the yo-zuri 3db wake bait too.
GotOne

Post by GotOne »

I got a Yo-Zuri 3db coming on your advice so I'll see how it does. Seems like the lower toned sound is what attracts the fish more than the "BB in a can" sound. I was impressed with Academy's effort in their wake bait. I swap all hooks out to either a single or 4x short shank treble anyhow so that's not an issue when the bait only costs $4. With the crazy prices and hassle of live bait, I find myself fishing strictly arties anymore, even if I can cast net up some. Wake baits are fairly new to me but they do have their uses :mrgreen:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Funny, these look like the Australian lures "Hardz". Did a long post on them here.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=248507