Flounder gigging spots

jgg696

Flounder gigging spots

Post by jgg696 »

Anybody know good starter spots for flounder gigging in the Surfside/SLP area?? Just finished making my light setup and am good to go.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: Flounder gigging spots

Post by Yaklash »

We are still at a time of year that the flounder are pretty spread out, from the deep marsh to the bay shorelines. With approaching cold fronts, they will start to come out of the marsh and collect on the bay shorelines as they stage to move out to the Gulf for winter, but there are flounder out there now.

Gigging tends to be a wading venture, so if that's how you plan to roll, you want to limit your efforts to hard sand bottom along grass shorelines, and especially at the mouths of marsh drains. At least that's where I would start. There's some of that in Christmas, but the longest stretches like that are along the south shoreline of lower West Galveston Bay. From Sea Isle to SLP, it's basically one long sand flat with some potholes up close to shore and what I call washboard guts out a little deeper. If you go at low tide, the first two washboard guts should be shallow enough to see flounder.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

Yaklash wrote:We are still at a time of year that the flounder are pretty spread out, from the deep marsh to the bay shorelines. With approaching cold fronts, they will start to come out of the marsh and collect on the bay shorelines as they stage to move out to the Gulf for winter, but there are flounder out there now.

Gigging tends to be a wading venture, so if that's how you plan to roll, you want to limit your efforts to hard sand bottom along grass shorelines, and especially at the mouths of marsh drains. At least that's where I would start. There's some of that in Christmas, but the longest stretches like that are along the south shoreline of lower West Galveston Bay. From Sea Isle to SLP, it's basically one long sand flat with some potholes up close to shore and what I call washboard guts out a little deeper. If you go at low tide, the first two washboard guts should be shallow enough to see flounder.
Thanks! I'll have to give galveston a try. Tides have been a little weird lately, hopefully it returns to normal before Nov rolls around.
jgg696

Post by jgg696 »

With low tides being in the early morning, would it be better to try 3 or 4-7am(1.5 -1.3ft) versus 9-12pm(2ft) ? Thanks for the advice.