New Spearfisher in Texas

denverbpierce

New Spearfisher in Texas

Post by denverbpierce »

I am hoping to try out my speargun for the first time next weekend in Galveston. I don't have a seaworthy boat (besides my yak) so I'll be going from the shores and jetties. I would love some pointers as to where to go. However the main question I have to ask is what kind if fish CAN I spear. I'm aware it's any nongame fish. But what are those? Ive seen a list of game fish and freshwater non game fish but not saltwater nongame fish. I grew up in freshwater so I'm not totally aware of all the species in the Texas waters. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: New Spearfisher in Texas

Post by karstopo »

denverbpierce

Post by denverbpierce »

Yea I've looked on their website. That's a list of the game fish. I reckon I could look at all saltwater species and take those out though.

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Black drum, flounder, gray (mangrove) snapper, sheepshead should be common around the jetties and OK to spearfish.
denverbpierce

Post by denverbpierce »

Thanks!

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Still have to abide by the size and numbers limits. For example, sheepshead must be 15”, Black Drum, 14”-30”. Flounder 14”.

I don’t believe Mangrove Snapper have any size or limit restrictions.

Watch out for boats or jet fleas when spear fishing. No one is going to be thinking “ there’s a spearfishman under the surface”. Are you snorkeling or using a tank?

I’ve spearfished, scuba, offshore years ago around some petroleum production platforms and in the Caribbean (Belize). The water here gets a lot clearer offshore, but that might be miles out on any given day. It’s probably doable right off the beach, but you have to catch it right.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

karstopo wrote:Still have to abide by the size and numbers limits. For example, sheepshead must be 15”, Black Drum, 14”-30”. Flounder 14”.

I don’t believe Mangrove Snapper have any size or limit restrictions.

Watch out for boats or jet fleas when spear fishing. No one is going to be thinking “ there’s a spearfishman under the surface”. Are you snorkeling or using a tank?
I should have listed the minimum lengths on the fish, thanks. Good reminder that he'll need a diver down flag while spearfishing.
denverbpierce

Post by denverbpierce »

Thanks so much! Just freediving with a snorkel.