handheld gps recommendations?

therocket37

handheld gps recommendations?

Post by therocket37 »

anybody use a handheld gps that they recommend? I want to be able to easily store and reference waypoints on the water. if anybody uses one kayak fishing that they really recommend please let me know!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: handheld gps recommendations?

Post by kickingback »

Navionics Boating App for your phone.

In Google Earth you can store you markers in a file and save to your phone to view later. Cannot store online but saving the "KML" file extension is the markers in a file to use later.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Highly recommend the Garmin 78sc.

It floats, you can mount it to your kayak to if you want with a ram ball.
Can do Google earth importing directly from their software base camp.
Always on to see exactly where you are at all times and lasts a lot longer than and cell phone.

Use nacionics / Google my maps app as your backup I recommend. My maps app (not Google maps), can download satellite imagery to see better exactly what's around. Retains the map offline too. Your 78sc built in chart is fine for saltwater coast.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Whatever Garmin is in your budget, go with that one. I've had my 76C (current model is the 78) for about 12 or so years. I'm debating about upgrading to the newer version or getting a touch screen one (eTrex Touch 25 or Oregon 700) mainly because I want the custom maps feature for adding my own maps. The 78 floats, which is nice. I do have concerns about how well the touch screen works with wet fingers. The Oregon 700 has the ability for active radar which is sweet too(connects via bluetooth or wifi to your cell phone).

I use my GPS mainly for recording tracks while fishing. Great for resetting drifts while out. I then upload the tracks to my computer and overlay them in Google Earth for my fishing logs.

Personally, not a fan of running an app on my phone since it's a heavy drain on the battery, plus the increased risk of losing it in the water.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Garmin 78 (any model of it). I started with the Garmin 72 a long time ago and it was a great unit.. the 76 and 78 are even that much better. You can even load aerials from Google Earth onto it for the area you fish.

Phone aps are ok.. .just make sure you have a way to power your phone because it will chew up the battery. The benefit of using an actual GPS is the battery time and the screen brightness. Much easier to see the GPS screen in bright daylight. Many times it's very hard to see the phone screen in bright daylight. But if you solve your battery time or can wire it to a little 6 volt with a charger then it's doable.