Kayak fishing around Galveston Island to Freeport area

Bammy21

Kayak fishing around Galveston Island to Freeport area

Post by Bammy21 »

Hello everyone!
Im a new member, and started kayak fishing this year. After going a couple of times this summer, I find myself thinking about kayak fishing a LOT! I have been to Rockport and Matagorda bay. Both places were sparsely poulated with boats and other kayakers. The fellow kayakers we met were very courteous and friendly.
I live in NW Houston and I would like to reduce travel time. I have considered heading down to Galveston area and possibly around Freeport. I really enjoyed the feeling of solitude fishing Matagorda and Rockport. What is everyone’s thoughts on the boat/yak traffic in the Galveston to Freeport area? Do you feel crowded when you fish those areas? I will probably try that area this month cause I just gotta get my fix.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Kayak fishing around Galveston Island to Freeport area

Post by kickingback »

Good luck and enjoy!
Go on weekdays and you have no issues really anywhere in the Bay areas. On weekends I would try to go early morning or late evening and night fishing to avoid the weekend warriors speeding around in their PB's to get to where the fish are but never really find them. :lol:
I have seen more kayakers get on fish in so little an area more than PB's coming in at ramps.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I have fished the Lake Como/Dana's Cove area on many occasions. Seldom skunked and always had a great time. An area of weed filled flats, sand flats, fishable shorelines, and deep water. The pbs on week-ends are plentiful, but they stick to the center of Lake Como and leave the shorelines to the kayaks. Also, the large area between the park and the geo tubes is too shallow for pa's and has always produced reds with a little work (well, not always, but many times). For a safe, easily accessed, relatively pb free, and a productive place to do some kayak fishing, give it a try.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Christmas bay has gotten pretty busy at times. Drum bay usually has a shoreline or two that’s unoccupied. Bastrop bay is a bit more distant, but maybe a few less kayaks.

Some marshes are more popular than others. Some get the duck hunting bunch in season. I fish the Freeport area a lot. I’ve felt crowded in Cold Pass, at times in Christmas bay, at times in Essex bayou, At times in Salt Lake. I really just depends. As things cool off the crowds thin out some.

I typically see other kayaks when I fish, but it’s not like people have been on top of me. Lots of oyster shell scares off most of the fiberglass boaters.
Bammy21

Post by Bammy21 »

Thanks for the replies, and I appreciate all the info. Im looking forward to fishing those areas
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There is a lot more marsh to explore around Freeport.. PM Karstopo , I'm sure he won't talk about his other areas publicly. ;-)

From the marshes around the Brazos river back to Drum there are good options and you won't feel like there is anyone around you.. except maybe Karstopo. ;-)
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Pm sent.