Side Scan Sonar Recommendations

1texasaggie

Side Scan Sonar Recommendations

Post by 1texasaggie »

Just curious if anyone could recommend a side scan sonar for fishing the marsh or flats. I also wanted to see if anyone had experience using side scan in conjunction with their pedal drive, whether the prop interferes with the signal, how fast you have to be moving for clear images, which type of mounts you recommend, where you mounted it (transom, through scupper holes, off to side), etc. Thanks in advance!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Side Scan Sonar Recommendations

Post by kickingback »

I rig my Humminbird Helix 5 SI on the front right side of my Hobie PA 14 in a track using an arm over the side with transducer. I raise and lower as needed. It is forward of my mirage drive and I get no interference with my pedals or my TM.
You can adjust sensitivity to see lots of structure out from your kayak in fairly shallow (3' or more) but in 3' or less the SI is useless basically in the marsh and flats. Sometimes Navionics Boating app works better I have found. :D
You will like it on trips out to the marsh at times to find the structure near shore but I only use DI and Sonar in the marsh.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Charlie is spot on.. the only thing its good for is seeing the edge of structure. And if you're sitting on the edge in 3' of water you can probably see the edge from the surface; you're going to have to know its already there. If you are fishing a 10-15' bayou, that's where you can start to see if there are baitfish pods and maybe a fish or two. I wouldn't even use it in less than 8' to think I might see fish.. cone is too small still and that puts the fish within 10-15 feet of you, at most 25' ... that's pretty close and they're already going to know you are there. No use at all in grass flat or marsh. Just stick a pole down to see what's there and how deep it is.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I have a depth sounder for my kayak: my paddle! When I was in a sailboat, I called my keel "Depth Sounder by Braille".

I WOULD like to be able to tell if I'm in four-foot water or ten-foot water, when the water is too muddy to see the bottom, and my paddle won't reach the bottom.

TexasJim
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

TexasJim wrote:I have a depth sounder for my kayak: my paddle! When I was in a sailboat, I called my keel "Depth Sounder by Braille".

I WOULD like to be able to tell if I'm in four-foot water or ten-foot water, when the water is too muddy to see the bottom, and my paddle won't reach the bottom.

TexasJim
Ordinary transducer is fine.. for anything deeper than rod deep. I approve of your depth reading methods ;-)
1texasaggie

Post by 1texasaggie »

I rig my Humminbird Helix 5 SI on the front right side of my Hobie PA 14 in a track using an arm over the side with transducer...
You will like it on trips out to the marsh at times to find the structure near shore but I only use DI and Sonar in the marsh.
Great info kikingback, thank you!

I didn't even think about the Humminbird, but will have to take a look. I had been researching the Garmin 73sv & Lowrance Hook2-7 triple based on blog reviews, but there's too little info on their use in salt water. Zero info on marsh fishing, where muddy water info is scarce. It's great to know the Helix 5 SI works and I really appreciate the info.

I wasn't sure how well the transducer arm over the gunnels would work either, but glad you mentioned it b/c I really like the idea of being able to quickly transfer my fish finder over w/ out having to buy additional transducers...then just get rid of my other fish finders. There are two built in transducer mounting positions on my Old Town (fore and aft), but the transducer arm makes more sense b/c it should be able to buffer the signal from prop wash.
No use at all in grass flat or marsh. Just stick a pole down to see what's there and how deep it is.
That's what I figured. As always, thanks Tobin!
I have a depth sounder for my kayak: my paddle!
lol. Been there, done that more times that I care to admit.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Nice things in my mind of side imaging.
It's a 180 degree slice so you see everything below you and to the sides (while you are moving!). Regular sonar/ DI only shows you what's right below you, not terribly useful in most places other than to get a depth reading or if vertical jigging to see if you have anything interested (need some depth).
- You can see bait balls that might not be readily apparent. maybe even fish that are around the bait
- You can see structure edges and I think more importantly, holes or cuts that might not be evident from above ground - even with trout green water. would be nice while going down a bayou.
- Along the same lines, can help find underwater wrecks that you can't see that you might want to try and fish.
- Can tell relative layout of the land and depth. I think it does depth measurement right?

Not sure how well it works in the marsh.

I don't have one, just regular DI/ sonar.
Fun idea I was going to try next time I'm in the water - point my DI at a 45 degree angle - in theory that's the same thing as side imagine with 1 eye blind ;)