Anyone fish Cedar Bayou, in the San Bernard Wildlife Refuge?

CMOS

Anyone fish Cedar Bayou, in the San Bernard Wildlife Refuge?

Post by CMOS »

Howdy All,

I've been studying the satellite images for this area, and want to do a trip there in my 14' Jon. The marsh width look good, but I'm curious about the depths. Might be a good place to slam some Reds this time of year.

Note, I do have a trolling motor, and I will also be getting a push-pole for the shallows.

Have any of you been in Cedar Bayou? Thoughts?

CMOS
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Anyone fish Cedar Bayou, in the San Bernard Wildlife Refuge?

Post by karstopo »

With that Jon boat, I bet you can launch right in the refuge at the little ramp there on the bayou. It’s not much of a ramp or wasn’t the last time I was there which was a good while ago. The other way in is to launch at the ramp at the Bernard and ICW and motor down the ICW.

I’ve made the paddle from refuge ramp to the ICW about this time of year. It’s a long paddle. I’ve also mothershipped in kayaks from the ICW and fished the lower end around the horseshoe shaped lake.

The lake has plenty of hard live reef, especially at the lower end where the outlet heads towards the ICW. It could be an issue for navigation depending on water levels. Medium to high water levels should be okay.

It’s definitely a good place to fish. The shell keeps a lot of fiberglass boats out of there. It’s too far of paddle for most folks. The creek is deep, deeper than you might think. Oyster shell is up above the lake, but there’s a channel for a boat to run.
CMOS

Post by CMOS »

Took me a while to find that "little camp" you spoke of - that's waaaay up there. I will most likely put in at Sargent, and motor up the ICWW. Reason being is that I have heard multiple accounts of vehicles being broken into at the boat ramp at the end of 2918.

I'll enter Cedar Bayou from the ICWW and just start looking for some fish signs. From the satellite image it looks pretty navigable up in the swamps.

Not sure I understand the reference to the "horseshoe shaped lake". Can you explain?

Thanks for your reply.

CMOS
CMOS

Post by CMOS »

Wait - now I see the "horseshoe shaped lake" you spoke of. That's one of the places I want to go.

Also, in that same "lake", coming from the ICWW there is a cut that leads north about 1000' north of the ICWW - that looks promising. I'm hoping I can get in there too.

CMOS