What line for a caster

WC53

What line for a caster

Post by WC53 »

There seems to be a zillion new lines out there, what line are folks putting on baitcasters for salt creeks and marshes?
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: What line for a caster

Post by texnomad »

Mostly any name brand of braid over at my house.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

seaguar red is tough to beat
I've tied a zillion fishing knots (especially adding fly rod leader and tippet knots) and caught a lot of big fish on them, also broken off a few on lines I don't buy again. Seaguar has great knot toughness.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=247450
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I'm a huge fan of P-Line CX Premium copolymer in 12 lbs test; I've had it on my baitcasters for over 10 years now. Compared to monofilament it doesn't stretch nearly as much and is much more sensitive as well. It floats too.
WC53

Post by WC53 »

I have tried to throw 20 suffix and just had problems with digging (Maybe just didn’t get the initial spooling tight enough) .and switched to 40, but man it feels heavy. Been using it for dropping around docks and pilings now...10 invisibraid on spinners.

I think I have a box of seagur red, 14?. , But haven’t tried it on anything, didn’t know it floated.

Anyone try nanofil 17 (from browsing the web tonight...lol)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

seaguar red doesn't float - it's neutral density made for saltwater. 14-lb is probably perfect.
Generally, fluorocarbon sinks and nylon floats.

nanofil - Berkley hasn't impressed me with a line since their old Trilene tournament nylon, and been disappointed by their copolymers. If you're not going braid, I'd say stick with the Seaguar.

If you read the other thread I linked, I'm using copolymers in the salt for 10-lb and 4-lb XUL.
Seaguar makes a good copolymer, Tatsu - if you go to this trouble, I'd drop down to 12-lb.
Yozuri Hybrid, and my favorite XUL line is Kamikaze firepower from Australia.
You can buy a bulk 1000-yd spool of Seaguar red for a little more than the cost of a single charge of copolymer.
WC53

Post by WC53 »

Thank you
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

you're welcome - where you really need braid is trying to increase the line capacity of your spool. Best example is surf fishing where you may get into a bull red - I've been spooled a couple of times by them, also had them straighten out 60-lb snap swivels (crimp with pliers). (The strike of a bull red in the surf sends a shock wave down and back up your spine.)

Even the surf guys on corpusfishing who load their spools with braid to gain capacity fish with a leader of fluorocarbon.
Bayou Burner

Post by Bayou Burner »

Ron Mc wrote:
If you read the other thread I linked, I'm using copolymers in the salt for 10-lb and 4-lb XUL.
Seaguar makes a good copolymer, Tatsu

I believe Tatsu is flourocarbon, not co polymer. Very expensive too .
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it's a copolymer of two different fluoricarbons.
I have 10-lb on a spinning reel and really like it. If I loan the spinning reel, I swap the spool to the 12-lb Red, and put away my Tatsu. The rod is a 9' Lami G1325 med-light and protects the lighter line really well. Great rod for drift fishing.

WC53

Post by WC53 »

I was wrong, Have AbrazX not red label, along with Tiger braid and invisibraid 20, slick 8 40 and fins 65.

In the first cabinet :lol:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I'd be inclined to pick one and fish it if it's the right diameter/test for you.
Try the Seaguar and pack the others so you can swap for a different line if you don't like it.
You can also visit Tackle Town and buy something else (it will always be Larry's to me).
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I like Seagaurs smackdown braid... but it's super thin.. try the 40 first. Best braid I've ever fished with and I've tried just about all of them.

For mono I also like the PLine CSXX.. good stuff but I rarely use it anymore. If I had room in my boat for a topwater only rod that's what I'd have on it.