Shoalwater Bay

JW FunGuy

Shoalwater Bay

Post by JW FunGuy »

I am planning my first trip down to Shoalwater Bay and was wondering if anybody has been in there recently and if so how the water clarity was?
And of course if you have a fishing report that would be nice too! :D
Thanks
Darkarcher159

Re: Shoalwater Bay

Post by Darkarcher159 »

Sorry, not recently. We were down there about 3 months ago. Water was very clear and the we had no trouble finding the reds in shallow water.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Haven't been this Summer, but have been on five, three day kayak fishing trips, with PACK during the past years. One of my favorite Gulf Coast fishing spots. Due to all of the shallow areas, power boats are at a minimum. I have always found clear water somewhere in the area regardless of the conditions.

When the wind was at it's worse, the weedy shallow shoreline could be the best bet for reds. When the water was clear at the Southern end around Cat and Green islands, the specs would usually show up with a moving tide.

My most productive area was the long shell reef inside the barrier Island. It's findable by cruising North as close to the shore line as possible on the Southern most part of the barrier island (across the bay from Green Island. Great for top waters any time of day.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Water clarity there is seldom too messed up to fish. I fish The Lagoon more a than Shoalwater, but for me, the best places to fish it are at the cuts and breaks in the barrier island between the two sub bays and Esprito Santo Bay.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks guys! That’s kind of what I thought, but I’ve run into so much murky water lately.....
There is definitely no shortage of fishable spots to explore I’m looking forward to getting down there to give it a shot. Now if the weather will cooperate. But we need rain bad so if that’s what it takes :?

I assume Charlie’s is the launch of choice?
Thanks again!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it sure looks good on paper - and yes, Charlie's looks like the spot.
http://www.texmaps.com/go/texas-fishing.html
zoom and add the layers
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Another thing worth noting about The Lagoon and Shoalwater; of all the kayakers I have seen fishing those two bodies of water, I have yet to see one, other than myself, fishing the "outside" of the barrier islands the separate those 2 coves (sub-bays) from Espiritu Santo Bay. I have fished those shorelines for years and have seen guides wading their clients there for years....just sayin'
osorojotx

Post by osorojotx »

Yaklash wrote:Another thing worth noting about The Lagoon and Shoalwater; of all the kayakers I have seen fishing those two bodies of water, I have yet to see one, other than myself, fishing the "outside" of the barrier islands the separate those 2 coves (sub-bays) from Espiritu Santo Bay. I have fished those shorelines for years and have seen guides wading their clients there for years....just sayin'
+1. The bayside shorelines and mouths can be super productive. I've been dropped in this area and almost always prefer to fish the outside because the knee deep mud in Shoalwater and the Lagoon will wear you out. If the tide is high, I've never had issues finding fish in the lakes.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Well I guess I should report back since y’all were kind enough reply.
I did finally make it out the beginning of last week, after all the rain had subsided. There is definitely a lot of water and a lot of kayak fishable areas. The water was quite high and still rather stained from all the rain. We could wade the back side even though the water was high. The water was so flat due to no wind and surf that you could water ski! We were mostly entertained by throwing flies at Black Drum. I still haven’t found out what is on their menu yet! :) I did manage to get one undersize Red n a spoon fly. The wind picked up so we went to the inside and the water was like chocolate milk. Blind casting structure I found one just undersized Red.
I want to go back there when the water is lower.
ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
h_10

Post by h_10 »

good rule of thumb for high water in the flats.

fish tight to the shorelines and grass lines. the reds will be up in the flooded grass. slowly and quietly paddle along the shore/grass lines. they'll show themselves by tailing or feeding.