Looking for marsh...

s1rGr1nG0

Looking for marsh...

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

Howdy gang! It's been a number of years since I've been on the water in a yak. A couple months ago I picked up a used Ascend FS12T and have slowly been rigging it up. I'm just about ready to launch and now trying to decide on where to go. In the past I've launched at Stingaree, Rollover, and also across the SLP bridge at the campground there near Titlum-Tatlum.
After Harvey are those places still accessible?
Are there better places to go instead? I'm not looking for your secret honey holes, just a general area where I can put in and stir up some mud!
I like shallow water marsh fishing and I'm hoping to one day soon get down to Port Aransas to LHL, too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Looking for marsh...

Post by Ron Mc »

can't say specifically, but my guess is yes.
We fished Rockport 3 weeks after Harvey last year, then drove to my friend's property on Lavaca Bay.
Once we got past Lamar, wind damage from Harvey quickly decreased.
Every place you mentioned got a good storm tide, but storm tides are great for marsh.
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

You can certainly launch at Stingaree, and have a nice meal/drink when you're done fishing.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yes on all the launches mentioned. Check out ACK website for kayak launch points. If you want to hit the marsh you can try launching at Louis Bait Camp and go under the railroad bridge to the marsh there in Jones Bay. Always a good spot to catch some marsh mud donkeys and trout.
LOTS of other marsh areas. I suggest you look at Google Earth and study the launch points from ACK and marry them up for a plan and just go!
Good luck!
Da Rook

Post by Da Rook »

s1rGr1nG0 wrote:Howdy gang! It's been a number of years since I've been on the water in a yak. A couple months ago I picked up a used Ascend FS12T and have slowly been rigging it up. I'm just about ready to launch and now trying to decide on where to go. In the past I've launched at Stingaree, Rollover, and also across the SLP bridge at the campground there near Titlum-Tatlum.
After Harvey are those places still accessible?
Are there better places to go instead? I'm not looking for your secret honey holes, just a general area where I can put in and stir up some mud!
I like shallow water marsh fishing and I'm hoping to one day soon get down to Port Aransas to LHL, too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
definitely look around google earth map
Da Rook

Post by Da Rook »

and also this, courtesy of an older member of TKF

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/viewe ... 221385&z=9
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Titlum Tatlum should be good right now.

The Galveston Marsh only had minimal storm tide and a little increase from rain run off.. Galveston area marshes really didn't have any changes per say. The drains in some Rockport marshes got cut deeper. And POC got a new cut into fish pass .. Sunday Beach Pass... but out side of that no real changes coast wide to the landscape under the water as far as marsh and cuts are concerned.
s1rGr1nG0

Post by s1rGr1nG0 »

kickingback wrote:Yes on all the launches mentioned. Check out ACK website for kayak launch points. If you want to hit the marsh you can try launching at Louis Bait Camp and go under the railroad bridge to the marsh there in Jones Bay. Always a good spot to catch some marsh mud donkeys and trout.
LOTS of other marsh areas. I suggest you look at Google Earth and study the launch points from ACK and marry them up for a plan and just go!
Good luck!
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ultimately me and my buddy decided to try Louie's. We paddled out under the bridge and fished the area just past it. It was our first time there and I really like it. The wind was very low and the water was smooth as glass that morning. It picked up around noon but wasn't too bad. We got skunked but had a great time exploring a new area. There was mullet everywhere so I know the reds had to be there. I'm good at fishing...just not catching! We tried a variety of things to get a bite. Gulp under a popping cork, topwater, etc...but no real takers.
I'm thinking about going back again this Saturday and giving them hell!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Use paddle tails with 1/8 oz weight, preferably weedless. Throw to any signs of tailing. Use stealth to approach back area of marsh. Fish the cuts and drains and spend time in the marsh where the tide water is either incoming or outgoing. May nto get many bites on a slack tide so watch the tides too.
It is nice and quiet there and a nice paddle!
Well done!