Perception Pescador Pro 100 10'6" Fishing(Angler) Kayak

AsianAngler

Perception Pescador Pro 100 10'6" Fishing(Angler) Kayak

Post by AsianAngler »

anyone got one of these? Or used to have one? Just trying to get some general reviews.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/percep ... id=3590745
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Perception Pescador Pro 100 10'6" Fishing(Angler) Kayak

Post by Ron Mc »

AsianAngler wrote:anyone got one of these? Or used to have one? Just trying to get some general reviews...
10' boats are generally not a great choice for coast wind, because you sit well behind the center of the boat, making your bow windcock if you're not paddling (paddling hard downwind).
Essentially if you're not paddling, you boat will lose it's track and nose-up into the wind. (You become a mainsail, luffing the boat)
One step up, 12' boats don't have this problem (or not as bad - and longer boats track even better).
On a 10' boat in coast wind, you can eliminate windcock with a rudder or skeg.
You can also solve this when you're fishing with a drift sock - otherwise, the boat will always point straight into the wind.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

AsianAngler wrote:anyone got one of these? Or used to have one? Just trying to get some general reviews.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/percep ... id=3590745
Don't have the Pro 100 but we do have a Pescador Pilot. It's a 12' boat not a 10' but I did look at this boat as well as the 12' version. The all have very similar if not the exact same hull which is a fast hull. I recommend spending another $100 and going with the 12' pro (available at ACK or some Academy stores) and getting a rudder (even if you have to add the rudder down the road).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

yes, the good points about both these boats are a fast hull and wind-slippery.
Da Rook

Post by Da Rook »

not sure if that couple of feet makes that much difference in the bay, more like a misconception. There are both pros and cons for a shorter and a longer kayak.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Not a misconception at all, but all my life on boats (40 years grown) , including a 27' O'Day - it's a question of your body being a sail off the center of rotation.
If you ever take a 10' boat to the coast, you'll know. (even Boerne City Lake)
On windy Boerne City Lake, two identical 10' boats under identical conditions - one with a skeg, one without
Ron Mc wrote:...
Her skeg also still works. While my buddy's daughter got windcock every time she stopped paddling, instantly turning her bow off course and eventually back to the wind, my daughter's 10' Redfish with skeg continued to track perfectly straight downwind even when she wasn't paddling, and even for long drifts.
skeg details - http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... &p=2247676
...]
With the skeg, the 10" Redfish has become a favorite borrow boat at the coast among my shorter-legged friends, because it's stinking fast, totally rigged for fishing, and has all the qualities of a short boat and a long boat: turns on a dime with the skeg retracted; and tracks like a long boat with the skeg deployed. Plus it only weighs 45 lbs.
My buddy is rigging a rudder on his daughter's red Redfish for another borrow boat on our scheduled trip in a month.

If you're suffering windcock on a distance paddle, you'll pull your hair out, or at the least exhaust yourself.
It may not matter until you're 3 miles from home down a 15-kt wind - every time you stop paddling, your boat turns around. So every time you begin paddling again, you have to start by correcting for your boat turning around. You end up constantly trying to keep up to prevent the boat turning, and no room for a breather.
Try solo-paddling a tandem kayak. You can sit up front and be a jib, or sit in the back and be a mainsail.

joseph_beers

Post by joseph_beers »

've got the Pescador Pro 120 12' kayak. I'm happy with it. Tracks straight even in a brisk wind. Also a little wider than the older model (which I have as well) which adds better stability. I do have to admit, I'm not crazy about the seat. The screws and frame are painted steel that quickly start to rust especially around salt water. One clip also broke on the seat straps which I went ahead and tywrapped. Otherwise comfortable. Overall, I think it's worth the price.
Attachments
20160730_202555.jpg