mwatson71

Missing kayaker - Crystal Beach

Post by mwatson71 »

Reefmonkey
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Missing kayaker - Crystal Beach

Post by Reefmonkey »

This is why I have sharpied my name, address, cell and home phone numbers to all my paddle craft. This way if they got loose (like they did during Ike, for instance) and are found by an honest person, I can get them back, and if found by first responders, they can call me and I can say I'm fine and save taxpayers the cost of a search and rescue. Or if I was separated from them via mishap, they can call my wife who can give them my float plan so they can know where to look as quickly as possible.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Reefmonkey wrote:This is why I have sharpied my name, address, cell and home phone numbers to all my paddle craft. This way if they got loose (like they did during Ike, for instance) and are found by an honest person, I can get them back, and if found by first responders, they can call me and I can say I'm fine and save taxpayers the cost of a search and rescue. Or if I was separated from them via mishap, they can call my wife who can give them my float plan so they can know where to look as quickly as possible.
Great ideas. I will do this before my next launch.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

NEVER, ever go out alone without letting someone, ANYONE, know where you will be going and when you expect to return. This way a search can be conducted. Always tell someone!

I go out alone all the time but each time I document my trips BEFORE and after in case of accidents.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Agree always let someone know where your going. I always carry mi drivers license with me stored in a waterproof box in my hatch. I also use Navionics app and turn on the tracking so it traces where I've been.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
5x5

Post by 5x5 »

It is not a missing KAyaker, it is a loose kayak. Typical news reporting going to the extreme before there is even a missing persons report.

A few months ago, there was another report from the USCG saying that the problem is people leaving their kayak where it can get washed out from shore then they have to respond.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Good to know. I only posted it here in case anyone on the board recognized the kayak. And by posting it, I was reminded to add emergency contact info in Sharpie to my kayak. And maybe someone else learned or was reminded of a safety tip as well.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Did they figure out who or where the person was? with the loose kayak...
vstrom650

Post by vstrom650 »

This is why I have sharpied my name, address, cell and home phone numbers to all my paddle craft.
Having bought used fishing gear, my kayak, my paddle, my ice chest, etc. all have different names and numbers sharpied on them from previous owners. If I ever go down, they'll be calling half the state to find out who's missing.
anzuelo

Post by anzuelo »

You can get a "If Found Sticker" from Coast Guard Auxiliary. They are a bright orange sticker that you fill out contact info in case your kayak is "found."

After Hurricane Ike in 2008, lots of kayaks were floating around bays and washed up in the surf. With no contact info, emergency responders had no way of knowing if it was just a loose kayak or the result of a mishap.

As a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I will be happy to send anyone a sticker. Just pm me with your contact info.
Denny1

Post by Denny1 »

Hello,
I read the article in re to the "If Found Sticker". I would very much like to have stickers for two kayaks, paddles, etc. My address is PO Box 156 Cat Spring, TX 78933-0156. I believe this is a very good program.
anzuelo wrote:You can get a "If Found Sticker" from Coast Guard Auxiliary. They are a bright orange sticker that you fill out contact info in case your kayak is "found."

After Hurricane Ike in 2008, lots of kayaks were floating around bays and washed up in the surf. With no contact info, emergency responders had no way of knowing if it was just a loose kayak or the result of a mishap.

As a member of the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I will be happy to send anyone a sticker. Just pm me with your contact info.
Thank you.