new wade fishing spots on galveston west bay

Floundapounda122

new wade fishing spots on galveston west bay

Post by Floundapounda122 »

hey guys, recently i have hit jumbile cove and SLP wading and i have come out skunked everytime. i have finally decided that i need to change things up. i'm not asking for anyone's honey hole but does anyone know some decent places to wade in the galeveston west bay complex?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: new wade fishing spots on galveston west bay

Post by kickingback »

What species you targeting? I may be able to PM you for what you are needing.
Floundapounda122

kickingback wrote:What species you targeting? I may be able to PM you for what you are needing.
mostly trout and reds
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I am assuming you have a kayak since you are posting here.
Have you fished the Deer Island area? The LARGE reef there holds trout and flounder early in the mornings. Reds can be caught there but may be in the deeper holes near the reef. Reds like the shallow water in the marsh better than in the bay I have found.
I park my yak there on the reefs and wade the entire area and have good luck. You will be visited by drifting PB's but since you are ON the reef and they are casting to it you will do better. Check out the reef on Google Earth and look at the history images to 2011 when the water was low to see the reef the best.
Good luck!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Those coves will get better as the fall progresses.. try them again in Late sept - Nov. Right now the trout are elsewhere in the system... Drum bay can be fun for a few reds this time of year. There are some surf trout as well. I personally like the south jetty for a quick, rock hopping, walk in spot now that the weather had moderated. Bull reds should start showing up near the pass, rollover, and the jetties as well.
Floundapounda122

im heading down there tomorrow with no yak. i was thinking sportsman road. is there anything i need to know about this launch? i noticed there seems to be a house on the dead end of that road, can i still park there? and i noticed right when you walk in there seems to be a deep gut, is that what i should focus on?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Yes. I would work top water lures on the edge of the drop off and cast into the gut and reel back using soft lures. Use tops early and soft when they stop hitting top.
I have never launched from there but from the history photos in GE and word of mouth the cars park on the road out of residence way.
You wade that whole side. I personally would fish the wind blown sides of islands or shores where the bait is blown into it. But there you have no choice but they will bite if there is any bait present by seeing them pop the surface. I caught a few the other day on the north shore of the island near sea isle so they should be there.
Tobin is up on the bay areas and he may be right about that area now early but if you try and catch please let us know! Good luck!