Lightning - Yeow!!

YakRunabout

Lightning - Yeow!!

Post by YakRunabout »

In a recent post I spoke about lightning in the area for a time while I was fishing. I lowered my rods flat onto the boat and quit fishing until the storms were passed. I just did a little search on lightning and fishing rods and came across this report!
Be careful out there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10PZ_0GK_bU
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Re: Lightning - Yeow!!

Post by larry long shadows »

or switch to fiberglass :mrgreen:
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Lightning - Yeow!!

Post by karstopo »

There was another thread on a different forum about lightning recently. Fishermen had fishing line hover in the air after the cast with the static electricity and rods vibrate and make odd noises. My dad was telling stories at lunch yesterday about local fishermen and hunters that got struck by lightning, some killed. One fisherman he knew was struck and killed over by San Luis pass. Another group of duck hunters in the BNWR area were struck and one of those guys died.

My dad got an indirect hit when he was rolling up a long hose and lightning hit nearby with some of the electricity traveling up the hose and jolting him.

I don’t go out in the kayak in this recent weather pattern. Kayaks are too slow to outrun building storms. I did get trapped 22 miles offshore several years ago by a massive thunderstorm complex that moved off the land into the gulf. It was pretty harrowing piloting a small center console through intense lightning, blinding rain, howling winds and crazy confused seas. Our GPS was knocked out so the compass was our only means to navigate by. Miraculously, I was able to bring the boat to the entrance of the Surfside jetties by using only the compass and in spite of not being able to see beyond a few yards with the rain, salt spray and wind. We could have probably made it in without issues before the storms, I saw the signs of a building storm, closed in around us, but we wanted that last snapper to complete the limit. No fish is worth putting lives at serious risk.

Thanks for the share. Lightning is no joke and the risks are real and not as remote as people sometimes think.