Floridian in Houston

SteveRetrieve

Floridian in Houston

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Hello Everyone,

It's a pleasure to join this community of kayak fisherman and I look forward to sharing my catches here in the near future. After living and fishing in north-west Florida for 28 years, I am now moving to Houston. The wife got her dream job at the med center so we're moving to the southwest side of Houston in the next few weeks. I have been doing some research online and what I've gathered is that the inshore Gulf Coast fishery is somewhat similar to what I'm used to in the big-bend area of Florida. Muddy water full of reds and big trout, with an occasional flounder or sheepshead in the mix. For the most part the trout will on the open-water grass flats, and the reds will be tucked back in the creeks and marshes (correct me if I'm wrong.)

What I am curious about is where I should begin exploring. Certainly the Galveston bay area, but specifically where are these 'marshes' that hold the reds? Are they typically in the northern part of the bay, like near chocolate bay or bastrop bay? Or will I have better luck in the small creeks? My spider senses tell me the northern part of West Bay looks fishy.

I hear East Matagorda bay is excellent, but is it worth driving an extra 45 minutes there?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thank you in advance and tight lines!
TexasJim

Re: Floridian in Houston

Post by TexasJim »

Welcome to the TKF community! Great group of people willing to share. I don't know about kayak fishing around Big H, but I was a captive of Houston in '86-'87, before I sailed out of Galveston and settled in the West Indies for 25 years. Since I repatriated in '11, I have kayak fished in the Guadalupe, and now on the Texas Coastal Bend. Get copies of Saltwater Angler magazine (free), at your local enabler. Lots of good info here and there. Stay tuned. TexasJim
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Take a look at Google Earth. You'll be able to see where the marsh is. There are miles and miles of it. There are some who look at a grassy shoreline and call it the marsh, but an actual marsh you can paddle back into isn't hard to find. Upper Trinity Bay has what is actually a river delta, but is a labyrinth of bayous and cuts. Similar in East Bay, two large bumps on the south shoreline are both great marsh habitat. In West Galv Bay, the eastern half has some extensive marsh and is a series of coves (that see extensive interest in the winter), but the western half is more grass shorelines with shallow marsh and just a few minor guts/drains. In West Bay, the ICW runs along the north shoreline and there are many miles of paddle worthy marsh up there, but not much of it is close to a viable launch.

The beauty of Galveston Bay is that the marsh areas are only one of several great options, We have great mid-bay shell reefs. The Houston Ship Channel spoil banks are another good form of structure for hot and cold months. The beachfront can be awesome when the water is clean. And there are also lots of places where shallow shell mud mix makes for great trout habitat. And then there's San Luis Pass - a bit dangerous if you aren't prepared and respectful of the current. Then there's the jetties - 2 sets, Galveston and Surfside. Probably the most diverse bay system in Texas, but it gets crowded.

Welcome to Texas
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Lots of great places to fish in near to you Brazoria County. For now, you might focus on launches. There’s a launch (boat ramp no services no bait sellers) at the end of county road 2918 where the San Bernard River meets the Intracoastal waterway. From that launch, Cedar lakes, the McNeil/Pelican marsh, Jones Creek and Lakes, and the mouth of the San Bernard (now just closed in by sand) are easily accessible. Trout, Redfish and Flounder are all to be had there.

If services like bait, beer and ice are what you desire, then there’s a couple of bait stands around the Levee as you drive to Surfside Beach on hwy 332. Bucees sells the ice, beer, lures and other terminal tackle. They are located at Hwy 332 and FM 523. There’s a launch or two on Drum bay and the same for Christmas bay. Drum Bay is pocket sized with lots of edges and reefs and mud. There’s so much exposed shell the power boats that like to race around tend to avoid it. Christmas bay is where you will find your grass flats and bare sand. There’s some oyster reef there too. Bastrop bay is full of shell reefs. Titlum tatlum bayou and cold Pass are right there too.

More inland, there’s launches on Bastrop Bayou (Capt marks), at Salt Lake (kayak or canoe only at launch, but the lake will often have goofy *ss power boaters that think it’s a place to race around on the edges scaring the fish. They come up the ICW into Nicks lake then into salt lake.) in the Brazoria National Wildlife, Clay Banks on Bastrop Bayou ( that might be closed still or again due to the filthy humans that fish that area). I like fishing tidal creeks, bayous and rivers more in the colder months which are not too far off.

Of course, there’s other spots up and down the coast. I live in the Lake Jackson area and lived for a few years in Surfside and enjoy fishing the waters close to home. If you see a beat up old Orange Commander with a guy flailing around a fly rod, come on over and say hi.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

http://www.texmaps.com/go/texas-fishing.html
use the overlays, especially for fishing spots, seagrass - even kayak launch

With approaching winter you can work your way south as many of the pelagic fish move that way

A long way from Houston, but Lower Laguna Madre looks like this
chanvithai

Post by chanvithai »

Hi Steve

We both work in the medical center. Once you’re done with your moving and get ready for fishing, PM me!

My retired parents are in Florida, you won’t be any shock for the weather. One thing for sure: traffic is much worse here and there are many more highways names to remember here in Houston.

Feel free to reach out for any other questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

welcome to Texas. The Galveston and Matagorda bays and estuaries are similar but at the same time much different than the Panhandle of FL. I'm sure you're fairly adapt at using google earth like Yaklash said, and that is a good plan as any. This is tons of seagrass in west and at times that is good.... but the oyster holds more trout and more reds most of the year. You might start your search in Christmas Bay and upper Chocolate this fall.. as well as some of the Freeport marsh Karstopo mentioned above. Christmas has both seagrass and oyster... same for West bay and Matagorda. Drum Bay is mostly oyster and mud but a good area for redfish. I would focus on the redfish right now in the marsh, and secondary bays with oyster. Later in the fall the reds will start to be thicker on the sea grass in West and in Christmas. Our freshwater flows are more inconsistent than what you are used to in Florida so many times our rivers and bayous and coastal creeks get severely flushed and the reds will leave with that big a change. right now we've had fairly consistent weather so the marsh should be a good play in most areas.

holla if you need anything.
t

tobin@troutsupport.com
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

Steve... Whereabouts is SouthWest Houston :-)

I'm in Clear Lake... and I rarely fish within an hour from my home... I enjoy fishing anywhere from Laguna Madre to The Forgotten Coast of Florida (In fact, heading to Port St. Joe in a little over a week)... But my typical launch/fishing locations stretch anywhere from Sabine to Aransas/Rockport. My wife always asks why I get up at 3 am to drive 2 hours away to fish, when I have water in my neighborhood... So I started taking her fishing more, and now she totally understands why I travel. So to answer your question, is 45min worth it... YUP...! Get out there and explore!! There are some amazing locations and total GEMS of shoreline to experience.

I've seen some good recommendations posted on this thread so far... With exception to one... CHOCOLATE BAYOU... No offense to anyone... I just have a POOR relationship with that place... :lol:
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Thank you all for welcoming me and for the valuable advice! I will reply with an update and hopefully a couple fish pictures after my first trip or two. Realistically, I am still several weeks away from getting on the water. As karstopo mentioned, I might try to focus on spots that aren't terribly far from launch points. I'm still rocking my cheap kayak and haven't made the upgrade to a peddle yak yet, so I don't have as much range as I would like.

Yak'Razy we're renting a house in the willowbend area. I hope I made a good decision to rent there! We wanted to be close to downtown but still have a yard for the dog and the BBQs.

Thanks again everyone!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Here's the launch on the San Bernard/ICW intersection. In the far right hand corner is the boat ramp on the Brazos River. None of these areas are top secret.

The entrance to McNeil Bayou is about a mile from the launch. I've had good luck fishing in the bayou there and up into the lake. It's loaded with oyster shell.

The first entrance to Cedar Lakes is right across the ICW from the ramp. That area of Cedar Lakes is very tough to get into except in higher water levels. But it's worthwhile to scout around the entrance areas.

The mouth of the San Bernard I believe is all but completely closed. It was open earlier in the year. Maybe big autumn tides will reopen it. It's still worthwhile to explore the mouth area even when it's closed. Less shell down there, but some deeper spots here and there.

Jones Lake is about 1.5 -1.75 miles to the northeast. Full of shell and hard to navigate if the extra muddy water finds its way there from the Brazos or Bernard.

The whole area is pretty worthwhile to fish. Don't neglect the ICW itself or the San Bernard. Just be alert to barge traffic.

But pick any place you like. I think you would be hard pressed to find any launch that didn't have good fishing opportunities within a reasonable paddle range.

The second image is of the same area, but was taken in November of 2011 when the Water was lower and clearer. Much more structure is able to be seen. ImageImage
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Welcome to Houston. And, welcome to my old neighborhood.

I've been fishing the Gulf Coast waters from Sabine Lake to South Padre for the past....,many....,years. Never fished in a spot that wasn't fantastic (even when I caught no fish).

For the past fourteen years, I have been fishing a lot with a group of old kayaking fishing farts called P.A.C.K. Great bunch of guys from all walks of life who share their love for kayaks, fishing, camping, and just enjoying the magnificence of nature. Take a look at their web site and maybe attend one of their meetings. Between the many segments of BS that permeates within the group is a great deal of fish lore and pertinent info about the Gulf Coast.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Sorry for the length, but I (finally) have some down time at the office so I couldn't help myself.

So I managed to get out on the water last Sunday (9/16) and do my first bit of Texas kayak fishing. Since it's been raining nearly every day I thought that the fish would have been pushed out of the creeks and marshes due to low salinity. So, I decided to try Christmas Bay. I had been eyeing this area anyway as it looked to have some of the more familiar inshore structures I'm used to, namely grass flats and oyster beds. I put in at the end of 257P (Dolphin Dr) after driving through some pretty dense fog and was greeted to a beautiful view, plenty of bait in the water, and very little wind out of the East. Water clarity was poor - basically chocolate milk - and there was a ton of grass floating near the surface. I started paddling westerly towards arcardia reef and was quickly distracted by all of the bait commotion. There were mullet everywhere! I fished along the way and managed to grab a few trout. Most of the trout were small, but a 17 incher was thrown in the mix. Arcadia greeted me with dozens of pelicans sitting on the shallowest parts of the shell bars. This place looked fishy to me from the get-go. Within a couple hours I caught about 8 redfish ranging from 16 to 22 inches. Only one was a slot fish, and several were 19.5 inches. I believe I saw a tarpon roll as well, although later I thought that it could have been an alligator gar. I'm not sure how common either of these fish are in the bay up here, but it was about 4' long and gray/silver. I also saw about a dozen BIG sheepshead feeding off the bottom, practically tailing. Of course they didn't want my soft plastics but I certainly tried. I paddled into drum bay and picked up another small redfish before calling it an early day. I had forgot my water bottle in the car and was feeling quite parched.

Lessons, observations, and reminders:

Tides. The tides here are slow and steady. I fished an outgoing tide all day and the water only receded maybe a foot and a half. The tide was also diurnal, which is definitely different for me. I'm used to the tides being 3-4 feet different every 5 hours. Would like to research more as to why the tides are diurnal some days, and semi-diurnal other days. Physics, man.

Bait. There was bait everywhere, especially first thing in the morning. BRING CAST NET. My spider senses tell me these were mostly mullet and mud minnows, but I would like to find out first hand if there are pinfish mixed in.

Location. The hard shell bottom is in distinct areas and in between is mostly soft mud. I don't believe that I was ever on an actual grass-flat, though there was a lot of dead grass floating in the water so they must be around somewhere. Don't waste time in mud holes catching dink trout. Also, bring an anchor because an anchor pin isn't going to penetrate the hard shell bottom.

Sheepshead. If you would like to target them bring a dozen-or-two shrimp and anchor up far off the structure. Throw into structure and wait. Not typically my favorite kind of fishing, but these were some fat sheepies.

Water and beer. How the heck do you forget these things?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

glad you had a fun time and success.

As far as the tides, right now there's a lot of freshwater coming in, so bays are high, and tide movement is going to be harder to recognize.
But follow the NOAA tide predictions, and you can find, in advance, days with big tide swings, where there will be greater tide currents in passes.

Excerpt from a post I made on FFR this morning
Ron Mc wrote:...the long shallow tide pass to the Gulf, between Matagorda and San Jose barrier islands...
One summer day from the same pass, we were all catching a limit of specs - the tide was running out like a river and was fishing the TS-250 sinking line for specs - in that current and a fly rod, the only way to get time in the zone - only other choice would be heavy lead paddle-tail jig on a bait rod - the pass drains parts of Aransas and Copano bays, Carlos Bay, Mesquite Bay, massive San Antonio Bay, and one-fourth of Matagorda Bay. When you hook up a slot-limit redfish in the bayou current, you run down the sand toward the Gulf, because there is no other way to stop them before they spool your backing.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

SteveRetrieve wrote:Sorry for the length, but I (finally) have some down time at the office so I couldn't help myself.

So I managed to get out on the water last Sunday (9/16) and do my first bit of Texas kayak fishing. Since it's been raining nearly every day I thought that the fish would have been pushed out of the creeks and marshes due to low salinity. So, I decided to try Christmas Bay. I had been eyeing this area anyway as it looked to have some of the more familiar inshore structures I'm used to, namely grass flats and oyster beds. I put in at the end of 257P (Dolphin Dr) after driving through some pretty dense fog and was greeted to a beautiful view, plenty of bait in the water, and very little wind out of the East. Water clarity was poor - basically chocolate milk - and there was a ton of grass floating near the surface. I started paddling westerly towards arcardia reef and was quickly distracted by all of the bait commotion. There were mullet everywhere! I fished along the way and managed to grab a few trout. Most of the trout were small, but a 17 incher was thrown in the mix. Arcadia greeted me with dozens of pelicans sitting on the shallowest parts of the shell bars. This place looked fishy to me from the get-go. Within a couple hours I caught about 8 redfish ranging from 16 to 22 inches. Only one was a slot fish, and several were 19.5 inches. I believe I saw a tarpon roll as well, although later I thought that it could have been an alligator gar. I'm not sure how common either of these fish are in the bay up here, but it was about 4' long and gray/silver. I also saw about a dozen BIG sheepshead feeding off the bottom, practically tailing. Of course they didn't want my soft plastics but I certainly tried. I paddled into drum bay and picked up another small redfish before calling it an early day. I had forgot my water bottle in the car and was feeling quite parched.

Lessons, observations, and reminders:

Tides. The tides here are slow and steady. I fished an outgoing tide all day and the water only receded maybe a foot and a half. The tide was also diurnal, which is definitely different for me. I'm used to the tides being 3-4 feet different every 5 hours. Would like to research more as to why the tides are diurnal some days, and semi-diurnal other days. Physics, man.

Bait. There was bait everywhere, especially first thing in the morning. BRING CAST NET. My spider senses tell me these were mostly mullet and mud minnows, but I would like to find out first hand if there are pinfish mixed in.

Location. The hard shell bottom is in distinct areas and in between is mostly soft mud. I don't believe that I was ever on an actual grass-flat, though there was a lot of dead grass floating in the water so they must be around somewhere. Don't waste time in mud holes catching dink trout. Also, bring an anchor because an anchor pin isn't going to penetrate the hard shell bottom.

Sheepshead. If you would like to target them bring a dozen-or-two shrimp and anchor up far off the structure. Throw into structure and wait. Not typically my favorite kind of fishing, but these were some fat sheepies.

Water and beer. How the heck do you forget these things?
Thanks for the report. I had actually planed to do this exact same path last weekend but the rain kept me away. Glad to know it worked out for you :) And I was hoping to spot some sheepshead to test some new mini lures on so looks like I know where to go next time if it ever stops raining!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

The grass flats from that launch at Dolphin drive are pretty much all to the right or northeast. There is a grass patch on the south side of Arcadia reef along the shoreline. That little section on the south side of Arcadia reef is still technically Christmas bay according to TP&W. Drum bay picks up at south and west shoreline of Rattlesnake point and the old ICW channel, but maybe that’s where you ended up.

That Arcadia reef is sheepshead central in my experience. The other end of Christmas bay towards Churchhill bayou tends to have a little more tidal flow. The grass floating in the water column tones down as the water and weather cools off. Water will clear up with the cooling weather. Rains have been extreme along the coast, I’ve had over 20 inches at my house these last two weeks and I’m 12 miles or so from Christmas bay. I was at Drum Bay Sunday and the water had a lot of that special freshwater runoff tint.

Tides at the passes are pretty minimal as compared to most other locations in the USA and you can imagine get even more muted inland away from the passes. I’ve never seen a Tarpon at Christmas bay, but they are around in the area and it could have been one. There are big alligator gar around and they tolerate brackish water well. I have seen them out there.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a good and busy session even if you didn’t get maybe all you wanted.
topwater trout

Post by topwater trout »

Welcome!!! Great advise given above.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

SteveRetrieve wrote:...The hard shell bottom is in distinct areas and in between is mostly soft mud. I don't believe that I was ever on an actual grass-flat, though there was a lot of dead grass floating in the water so they must be around somewhere. Don't waste time in mud holes catching dink trout. Also, bring an anchor because an anchor pin isn't going to penetrate the hard shell bottom.
Karstopo was spot on about the grass.. there is a rim of grass of various widths along the south shoreline and on the west shoreline.. See Google earth the program... not the phone ap. You can look for a clearer water aerial and see where all the structure is in Christmas.. You're size will get better as the fall progresses. Umm about not wasting time in the mud holes catching dinks... Ummm well, never mind. There's no big trout in Christmas anyway :wink: :wink: :wink: Big Trout feed on little trout and big mullet.. And you're stickit pin will be fine if you don't try to penetrate through the crest of the reefs.. come off the top of the reef 10 or 12 feet and it will be doable to stick it; will be shell, sand, and mud and holds a pin nicely. Also, if you do try an anchor, you want to make sure you place the anchor in the mud off the shell, and not on the shell... danforth anchors do not hold on oyster.. a guy died about a month or two ago after anchoring his boat incorrectly and he went to swim after it... sad loss. If you want to decrease your learning curve check out our videos at TroutSupport.com... but first search for all my post here and also search for testimonials for them.. you're not going to listen to me about getting them anyway.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

karstopo wrote:The grass flats from that launch at Dolphin drive are pretty much all to the right or northeast. There is a grass patch on the south side of Arcadia reef along the shoreline. That little section on the south side of Arcadia reef is still technically Christmas bay according to TP&W. Drum bay picks up at south and west shoreline of Rattlesnake point and the old ICW channel, but maybe that’s where you ended up.
Thanks for the clarification. I fished the west shoreline of Rattlesnake point and found plenty of good hard-shell bottom. It looked like redfish haven over there. I might try to put in at the end of 257L next time I want to target that area. Man, is this rain ever going to stop? My yard is officially a mosquito estuary.
TroutSupport.com wrote: Umm about not wasting time in the mud holes catching dinks... Ummm well, never mind. There's no big trout in Christmas anyway :wink: :wink: :wink:
Well said, I'm right there with ya! :D
TroutSupport.com wrote:.. you're not going to listen to me about getting them anyway.
I may or may not have already purchased some of your lures. There are quite a few posts from anglers that swear by them, and I am not one to dismiss observations from good field research. Hopefully I can provide some new testimony for you in the near future. I hear gator trout season is coming soon.

I most sincerely thank you guys for the feedback. More reports to come soon, weather permitting.
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Just a quick compliment to this TKF board & its magnificent members who go to great lengths (18 message, & counting!) to welcome a Floridian import eager to learn our ways... Terrific advice & posts, gentlemen!
And if you need free legal advice, contact Shoffer & me, ha ha. This board is a one-stop-shop for knowledge & mirth.
--Dandydon
Fishing Attorneys LLP

SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

Wanted to update this thread since it’s been a bit over a year since my move to Texas. Looking back through these initial comments, wow. Some serious TKF legends with some great advice. Had I have known then what I know. HUGE thanks for everything.

As one should expect, Texas has really grown on me. I traveled a lot for work during my first year which exposed me to the vast Texas landscape. From the forests in the north east, to the hill country, to the west Texas plains and the south Texas roadrunners. Man, this is some beautiful country. I even did some field work on a plot of land that was casting distance to Baffin Bay, but I digress.

As work and life would have it, I’ve struggled to get out there and fish as much as I would like. I’ve actually just changed jobs, and plan on fishing every other Friday with my new schedule.

I’ve upgraded my cheapo lifetime kayak to a Viking profish Reload. I hadn’t heard of these yaks before coming to Texas, but man is this thing is a boat. Tracks straight as an arrow and is a freakin’ champ in coastal winds, special thanks to the rudder. I still haven’t been able to make a BTB trip in it but I damn sure will once I get my paddle muscles where they ought to be. Still would like to get a peddle kayak at some point in the future for inshore.

I also finally got a baitcaster. I had to see what all the fuss is about. Took a bit of a learning curve but I’m really diggin it. It’s especially useful in a kayak because the reel doesn’t hang below the rod so it is less exhausting to work lures all day.

I’ve primarily fished two areas. Christmas bay and the Freeport marsh system. I’d love to get out to matagorda, and eventually further south (damn does LLM look gorgeous) but I had to make the most of the time I had. I can get from my house to the launch in Christmas bay in 1hr 10min.

I’ve always caught redfish. Literally haven’t been skunked. I’ve even caught them on grass flats early in the morning on top water even though I’m clearly targeting trout. I’ve kept quite a few, as my wife loves to make fish curry and the texture (and bland-ness) of redfish works for that. Lower slots only. Interesting that it’s 2” longer here, but the limit is 3 fish, as compared to just 1 fish back home.

I’ve yet to catch my big Texas trout. I hooked a massive one that jumped and instantly spit my hook, and I’d guess she was 28”+ right up there with my PB. I plan on grinding it out this fall and winter.

I’ve found the lure selection to be interesting here. Big, aggressive paddle tails buzzed across the water column seem to be a great search bait. As are spoons. I typically only bust out the finesse stuff for drains, or small areas that I want to work slowly and thoroughly.

Just some thoughts and experiences I’ve had thus far. Stoked to get out there more this next year. Thanks for listening and tight lines TKF!

SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

P.S. there’s some damn good beer here. Lone Pint - Yellow Rose is my new go-to

karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Excellent. Yes, Lone Pint, Yellow Rose is great, a sipper. My old neighbor is an absolute beer pro, brews the best home brew imaginable and he put me on Lone Pint. He brewed a clone that was almost better than the original. Almost.

I love redfish for the table and how versatile it is, Thai, tacos, redfish just works, like a blank canvas. Lower slots are also my favorite. Good on you for getting on them. I haven’t been out in the kayak but once this summer which is something that would have never been allowed to happen in past years. Slipping in my advanced age, I am.

Good luck on your big trout quest. I haven’t even seen a big trout in some time. Always fun to tangle with those.

Glad for the update, especially from Waters I love so much.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

SteveRetrieve wrote:Wanted to update this thread since it’s been a bit over a year since my move to Texas. Looking back through these initial comments, wow. Some serious TKF legends with some great advice. Had I have known then what I know. HUGE thanks for everything.

As one should expect, Texas has really grown on me. I traveled a lot for work during my first year which exposed me to the vast Texas landscape. From the forests in the north east, to the hill country, to the west Texas plains and the south Texas roadrunners. Man, this is some beautiful country. I even did some field work on a plot of land that was casting distance to Baffin Bay, but I digress.

As work and life would have it, I’ve struggled to get out there and fish as much as I would like. I’ve actually just changed jobs, and plan on fishing every other Friday with my new schedule.

I’ve upgraded my cheapo lifetime kayak to a Viking profish Reload. I hadn’t heard of these yaks before coming to Texas, but man is this thing is a boat. Tracks straight as an arrow and is a freakin’ champ in coastal winds, special thanks to the rudder. I still haven’t been able to make a BTB trip in it but I damn sure will once I get my paddle muscles where they ought to be. Still would like to get a peddle kayak at some point in the future for inshore.

I also finally got a baitcaster. I had to see what all the fuss is about. Took a bit of a learning curve but I’m really diggin it. It’s especially useful in a kayak because the reel doesn’t hang below the rod so it is less exhausting to work lures all day.

I’ve primarily fished two areas. Christmas bay and the Freeport marsh system. I’d love to get out to matagorda, and eventually further south (damn does LLM look gorgeous) but I had to make the most of the time I had. I can get from my house to the launch in Christmas bay in 1hr 10min.

I’ve always caught redfish. Literally haven’t been skunked. I’ve even caught them on grass flats early in the morning on top water even though I’m clearly targeting trout. I’ve kept quite a few, as my wife loves to make fish curry and the texture (and bland-ness) of redfish works for that. Lower slots only. Interesting that it’s 2” longer here, but the limit is 3 fish, as compared to just 1 fish back home.

I’ve yet to catch my big Texas trout. I hooked a massive one that jumped and instantly spit my hook, and I’d guess she was 28”+ right up there with my PB. I plan on grinding it out this fall and winter.

I’ve found the lure selection to be interesting here. Big, aggressive paddle tails buzzed across the water column seem to be a great search bait. As are spoons. I typically only bust out the finesse stuff for drains, or small areas that I want to work slowly and thoroughly.

Just some thoughts and experiences I’ve had thus far. Stoked to get out there more this next year. Thanks for listening and tight lines TKF!

Don’t you just love a baitcaster? I don’t know why they aren’t more popular in the rest of the country.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

SteveRetrieve wrote:P.S. there’s some damn good beer here. Lone Pint - Yellow Rose is my new go-to
congrats on regret-free move - you've applied yourself to the task well.
And congrats on your new boat - great choice for distance fishing.
The best thing about baitcaster is instant fishing in skinny water - if you're fishing TSL grasswalkers, they're acting like live mullet the instant they hit the water. I've taken more strikes on the splash with this lure than any other lure I've ever thrown.
Your drag has to be set light for those big trout - their mouth membrane is very tender.
One of the best summertime brews I know is Corpus-brewed Ephyra IPA - it's a very good copy of Sculpin Aloha.
SteveRetrieve

Post by SteveRetrieve »

I actually got two bait casters, don’t tell the wife. A Lews inshore which I LOVE. And a Shimano Curado DC that I fell for the hype of. I might sell it haha.

My next present to myself will be a nice casting rod for the lews. I’ve got it on an all star that I got on clearance at academy. It does the job, but I have a problem spoiling myself with fishing gear once a year or so. I was considering a laguna after I held one at a local shop. Open to suggestions