New kayak err boat/water craft

Tombo

New kayak err boat/water craft

Post by Tombo »

Picked up my Blue Sky 360, a subsidiary of Jackson Kayaks, yesterday from Roy's Bait and Tackle in Corpus Christi. Ordered this craft couple months ago, original release date was March, but things need changing for new products.
Took it out this morning for its maiden voyage at South Bay in Aransas Pass. I needed to know what it could and could not do.
First time getting on this craft it felt weird. Nothing compares to it. Stable does not describe this vessel. I could walk on it, around the seat you name it.
The peddle drive has three positions. All the way out of the water, half way in the water and fully submerged. All the way up I could lift a hatch and remove any grass that had accumulated. Partly submerged I could move somewhat as long as there was no wind. Fully deployed I could maintain a steady pace, but not like my Hobie. I could go more shallow than the Hobie Mirage drive and was able to go in some pretty shallow water to a point.
I would not want to be peddling into any wind from 12 mph and up.
Storage is in both hulls but I prefer accessing all my stuff.
Comes with two rod holders but I find it easier to just lay down the rods on the deck, they are not going anywhere. I brought along my paddle and 12' push pole. I could paddle from the seat but had to extend the paddle, unlike a kayak. The push pole would move me along pretty good, but I wish the pole was shorter, say 8'.
If I had to put one thing above all it would be the seat. It sits up more like a bass boat seat. I steer from the seat via two levers, one on each side of the seat. Steering is effortless. The ability to stand was important to me as I need to stretch, site casting is a luxury bi product.
The wheels make loading and unloading a lot easier. Found it easier to retract the wheels in deeper water or I would have to lift up one side to rotate them. The wheel/tire combo needs some more engineering, they are just too narrow for most of the launch sites for kayaks. A concrete pad such as a boat ramp would be a piece of cake.
I am a gear junky and could easily pile a lot of stuff on the deck including a very large cooler. The possibilities are endless.
I have just scratched the surface on what I can do with this craft.
I must add that with the seat and accessories, this craft weighs in at 160 pounds, but I could still load and unload by myself.
Length is 13', width is 4'.
Attachments
Poor picture but more will follow.
Poor picture but more will follow.
Tombo

Re: New kayak err boat/water craft

Post by Tombo »

If you open the above picture, It should rotate properly.
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Very interesting kayak.looking forward to hearing how it all works out for you!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

My arthritic hips really appreciate it.
Texas Hooter

Post by Texas Hooter »

Very neat. I imagine a 12v trolling motor would be pretty easy to add somewhere. That seat is super nice. I know getting out of my yak after a long day my everything hurts. When possible, post some better pics.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Drifting Yak »

Listening to your description I was thinking "dang this thing sounds LARGE". But when I saw the pic was thinking "maybe not so much". Interesting concept Tombo. Hope it does everything you want it to and it keeps you on the water.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

nice paddle boat ...
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Can it be motorized, either electric or gas?
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

An electric option coming soon. Peddles come off and electric motor/batter snaps in its place.
Texas Hooter

Post by Texas Hooter »

Nice. Seems there’s been a few manufacturers offering a motor. I have the minkota console on my predator. With a 29DC battery (heavy) the range is insane. Better bring lunch and dinner lol.
waterbug

Post by waterbug »

Looks very nice and sounds comfortable. Glad to see you finally received it.
JohnnyUtah

Post by JohnnyUtah »

Nice to see someone local with one, I was extremely close to pulling the trigger during their Kickstarter campaign but couldn't convince myself it would be better than a yak in our water systems. Looking forward to more of your opinions on how it performs.

Johnny Utah
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Good review for first use.

Please keep us informed of how you like it over time over other kayaks. There are so many fishing scenarios and I am sure if you try many you can give us some great advise! Thanks!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Thank you for all the replies. There are just a few mods I am thinking about, can't leave anything alone. First will be the skinny tires, they just don't work in south Texas shorelines.