Solunar super fish in next hour?!

Chubs

Solunar super fish in next hour?!

Post by Chubs »

I occasionally check the Tides4fishing page. I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory, but I couldn't help but notice in the next hour they are predicting a SUPER FISH!!!!
Add description
Add description
super fish.png (35.72 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Good luck to anyone out there!

Anyone subscribe to the theory? How often is it true vs false? I know Shoffer posts these up occasionally and DD scolds him for giving away secrets :P
mwatson71

Re: Solunar super fish in next hour?!

Post by mwatson71 »

I am a believer. Several times I have been fishing where the bites turned on and off within 10 minutes of the predicted times. Too coincidental for me not to believe. Now of course I don’t believe the only time the fish will bite is during the active times on any solunar chart, but experience has taught me that if I had limited time to fish on a given day, I’d try my best to fit it within the solunar chart feed times.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I have seen it happen many times. Nighttime trips where all of a sudden, fish are in a feeding frenzy around a light for an hour, and then you cannot get them to hit anything after. A trip to Matagorda with Saltykat and Don a few years back. could not get a bite all morning - I mentioned that the major feed was coming up at 9:30 am, and at 9:28, I caught a 20 inch trout trolling a tide line, and then seven more in the next hour and a bonus flounder while having a lure rest on the bottom while I was messing with my crate; the same thing happened for SaltyKat and Don.

I believe in it, and when I am out fishing, I anxiously await a solunar feed.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

not a believer, but if we have a super day today, it will be because of the dry line that came through last night - cool and dry at 7a today.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

It's all about the tides and water movement. A solunar chart just tells you when the water will be affected by the sun and moon the most thus causing fish to feed readily.

From Wikipedia....

"In May 1926, John Aldenn Knight put together some fishing folklore and other fishing factors such as the sun and the moon, hence the name Solunar (Sol for sun and Lunar for moon) to form a theory on the patterns of animal movement. Knight compiled a list of factors which control or influence the day-to-day behavior of many freshwater and saltwater fish. Each one of the 33 different factors were considered. All but 3 were rejected. The three factors retained were the sun, the moon and the tide.[2] For salt water fishing, tides have long been known as a factor that controls fishes' behavior. As Knight's research progressed, he found that rather than just tides themselves, the relationship of the moon and sun's positions relative to each other may be the determining factor. In addition to the time of moon up (moonrise) - moon down, his research determined that there were intermediate times of the day that occurred in between the two major periods. From that he establishes that there were major periods (moon up - moon down) and minor periods. Knight published the first Solunar table in 1936."
Last edited by kickingback on Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angler

Post by Angler »

Definite believer because the data and personal experience suggests it’s so.

Sometime ago I saw a list of all world record catches where detailed time and date details were logged and interestingly a significant 90 ish percent were during a Solunar period.

I have kept my own detailed fishing logs for years and years and it’s uncanny.

That said, here are some important caveats to Solunar Theory:

1. Weather trumps everything. If you’ve never fished just ahead of and during a major pressure drop you’ve missed an amazing wonder of fishing. Conversely, super high pressure lingering in dregs of summer cannot be helped by Solunar...they just ain’t eatin’.

2. I think it’s most relevant to Lakes. Streams to a lesser extent where insect hatches (bait) drive things more than anything else. Lastly, in Saltwater I think tidal force is king and it doesn’t really correlate in my experience with generic Solunar tables. I like the Wells Fishing Forecast for this reason as it is all about tidal force (bait movement)

At the end of the day, if it’s convenient to plan trips around full and new moons, I will absolutely try to do so. It CAN be helpful. You’re only improving your odds of seeing more fish activity, all else being equal.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

kickingback wrote:It's all about the tides and water movement. A solunar chart just tells you when the water will be affected by the syn and moon the most thus causing fish to feed readily.
I agree with Kickingback, and we have to remember the water is going to be moving at different times all through out the bay. It's more key to learn that and how to put yourself in the right location on any given Sunday, compared to predicted super feast on paper. i do believe in using solunar tables as a tool to help me and I find a lot of correlation on a daily basis but not always. And there are ways to catch fish when it's not a predicted great bite.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

gotta believe you're going to do a whole better planning your fishing around structure and a NOAA tide chart for your specific location than planning around a solunar table for your zip code
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Structure, NOAA, tide chart, weather, season, time of day, then Solunar table.. . but it's still a good tool to use.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

With work and travel plans at the top of my list, solunar table is so far down the list, it will never enter the picture.

Over a lifetime, though, have worked out an algorithm for white bass.
These were just the 2-y-o males, released everything else, and caught the last 4 for my limit while my buddies were filleting their take-home from my stringer.
white bass are the perfect freshwater meat fish - a daily bag limit of 25 fish is no threat.
They are fecund, the female laying 200,000 eggs, aggressive predators, only live 3 years, where introduced found impossible to eradicate, and fillet beautifully.