"Orange" fish sighting in Christmas Bay

JJMan

"Orange" fish sighting in Christmas Bay

Post by JJMan »

Went out to Christmas Bay last weekend and had luck on some trout and even a small black tip shark! However, I kept seeing these distinctly orange (and large) fish boiling and hitting the surface all around me. If I were in fresh water, I would have said it was a carp due to coloring and size. I threw everything I had at them, but no interest what-so-ever. What kind of fish regularly boils at the surface, with distinctly orange fins/back and no spots? There were multiples of them as I saw them within seconds of each other, but many yards apart. Any ideas? I've never seen this before...
CMOS

Re: "Orange" fish sighting in Christmas Bay

Post by CMOS »

If I had to guess - Redfish coloring + optical illusion made it look "orange".

CMOS
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

"croaker" are often golden in color and can look like a very small rat red without spots in some cases.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Heya, KB, get rid of those rose colored glasses and those mullet will no longer be red. :D :D

And, hey, ol' man, you be very careful about fishing in this heat. We are no longer 25 and bullet proof.
Springfling

Post by Springfling »

I fish the Cold Pass/Churchill marshes area a lot. I’ve seen a number of saltwater gar this year (including yesterday). That would be my guess.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Yeah probably gar.
texasrxangler

Post by texasrxangler »

Sounds like gar to me.
JJMan

Post by JJMan »

Thanks all! after a quick google image search, I think you are right about the gars. I've never seen them before, but definitely match what I saw.
Yak'Razy

Post by Yak'Razy »

GAR... :cry:

I've experienced this recently... Took a trip to one of my favorite trout spots... Only to be greeted by dozens of rolling gar... :evil:
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Chupacabra fish. Be afraid, be very afraid. I saw a guy get eaten by a school of wild chupacabra fish. He was wading up in the LM about waist deep at midnight on a full moon. Before he could utter a word he just dropped straight down and disappeared, rod and all. I staved them off by doing the piranha death dance. A move taught to me by an indigenous Indian healer living on the salamoin river in the Amazon and used for the same purpose with piranha. Since I've never been eaten by a piranha I was sure it worked. The dance confused them long enough to make it to the boat. Even then I wasn't safe. By the time I got her up on plane I was taking on water and the skeg was bent with chew marks in it. I don't wade in the LM at night anymore. Tred lightly my friends, and keep your eyes open. There all around us now.