Hobie Warranty Process

FwistedTucker

Hobie Warranty Process

Post by FwistedTucker »

Has anyone gone through the Hobie warranty process before? I bought a 2018 Outback, love the boat. After 3 months, the plastic cracked under the seat where it is supposed to be "structurally reinforced". I dropped off the kayak at FTU over 6 weeks ago and the new one still hasn't shown up. The warranty manager at Hobie, Jerry Hill, told me it shipped on 27 June, and that they sent it "long haul". So there is no tracking number and it gets there when it gets there. And FTU won't give me one out of inventory in he meantime... anyone dealt with this crap before?

Tucker
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Hobie Warranty Process

Post by kickingback »

"Squeaky wheel gets the grease" :wink:

In other words, call Hobie directly and ask them why a customer must have to wait 3 months for a replacement kayak that should be IMMEDIATELY swapped out for a new one that Hobie could reimburse the dealer.
The more they "hear" from you the more they want the issue resolved and to make you happy. They don't like unhappy customers.
Call and bug them and let them know exactly how this has made you feel having to wait.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

Also let them know the information is going out on a national forum for all the see.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

I've done all of that. Turns out it never left the Hobie warehouse in CA, and everyone is pointing fingers at each other. FTU gave me a demo for free until my replacement boat shows up, but geez we are starting week 8 without the replacement.

It was good to have a demo though, hit the south jetty on Friday and Sunday. Spanish and sheepshead fest with gin clear water. Could see the bottom in 10ft of water, pretty amazing weekend.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Glad you got a loaner and the other is hopefully still coming.
I would still press the issue as I can clearly read by your words you are not happy still. If it was that far up if you go above to corporate you may get you kayak PLUS a free new mirage drive or even another kayak for your troubles.
Like I said, squeaky wheel gets the grease. :wink:
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

kickingback wrote:Glad you got a loaner and the other is hopefully still coming.
I would still press the issue as I can clearly read by your words you are not happy still. If it was that far up if you go above to corporate you may get you kayak PLUS a free new mirage drive or even another kayak for your troubles.
Like I said, squeaky wheel gets the grease. :wink:
You have a contact above the warranty manager, Jerry Hill? He wouldn't do anything to expedite or drop ship to my home. If you do, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tucker
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I'm sorry I do not know a good contact. If it were me I would search for corporate office and send them an email letting them know you wanted to let them know how you feel over this issue and that you were hoping for a great experience in buying your Hobie (to start a YouTube channel or something :wink: ) and how this waiting is killing you and ask if this is normal nation wide. Just ask that question and give your feedback to solve this for future customers and see what they say. Mention to them that you have seen the new kayaks coming out from ICast and have to wonder if you can recommend a Hobie that takes 3 months or a new kayak from someone else you can buy on the spot or with a shorter delivery date.
Most corporations like it when you just don't complain but make recommendations to resolve or make sure it does not happen to others. They look on that as a good customer they want to have come back and buy from them again and not the new kayaks that are now having the pedal drives more and more for less than Hobie.
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

kickingback wrote:I'm sorry I do not know a good contact. If it were me I would search for corporate office and send them an email letting them know you wanted to let them know how you feel over this issue and that you were hoping for a great experience in buying your Hobie (to start a YouTube channel or something :wink: ) and how this waiting is killing you and ask if this is normal nation wide. Just ask that question and give your feedback to solve this for future customers and see what they say. Mention to them that you have seen the new kayaks coming out from ICast and have to wonder if you can recommend a Hobie that takes 3 months or a new kayak from someone else you can buy on the spot or with a shorter delivery date.
Most corporations like it when you just don't complain but make recommendations to resolve or make sure it does not happen to others. They look on that as a good customer they want to have come back and buy from them again and not the new kayaks that are now having the pedal drives more and more for less than Hobie.
I'm definitely not happy. I found Morgan Promnitz on LinkedIn, the guy that does a lot of their YouTube videos and is the fishing brand manager. If anything could hurt the Hobie brand, it could definitely be this. Currently waiting on a response...
FwistedTucker

Post by FwistedTucker »

Finally got it today. Took 9 weeks and two days from the day I dropped it off...

#hobie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

:clap:
Hope all the hassle was worth the wait. I'm sure it will be but still try to let Hobie know how long it took and how unhappy you are. Good luck and tight lines!
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Good thread on how to keep fighting an apathetic retailer...
Lawyers are expensive, so just get KickingBack on your case & hold on. His advice is good & he's like a Snapping turtle who won't let go! Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Matt Miller: Director of Parts and Accessory Sales, Warranty and Technical Support at Hobie Cat Company
Greg Ketterman: VP Engineering and part owner, Hobie Cat Co
Katie Hand: Director of Marketing at Hobie Cat Company
1-760-758-9100
I would start with Matt Miller. Call and ask for him by name. Explain your problem and ask him if there is anything he can do.
Then Greg Ketterman, try to talk to them both. If they both check into your problem you will have a lot of squeaky wheels turning at once.
Sisco Kid

Post by Sisco Kid »

Wow, im thinking about a 2019 Outback or a PA12, but with that kind of headache im not sure if i want to take the plunge.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk