Battery for sonars

larry.johnston

Battery for sonars

Post by larry.johnston »

New to the yak world. I see people putting sonars/gps on there yaks. My question is how long does the battery last before is needs to be recharged. I will recharge it after ever trip. But i guess I want to make sure it will last all day. Thank you for the help.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Battery for sonars

Post by kickingback »

Most small kayak sonars can get by on a small 4-7 Amp Hour sealed battery. Can be bought easily on internet even Amazon.
The draw of amps varies by device. Check your manufacturer but the sonars usually can go through one or more days or operation depending on the back light you set on the sonar which draws more amps, etc.
You will be fine with these small batteries for a day on the water. You can also run LED's with the sonar for a day as well. Again, check the amp draw on each and you should be fine.

Just to see the batteries I am talking about...
http://www.batteryplex.com/lithonia-bat ... 70-12V-7Ah
http://www.batteryplex.com/lithonia-bat ... gJ9vfD_BwE
bing

Post by bing »

i use an 8pk AA battery holder which provide 12v .. and spare batteries.
this is also my emergency power for my other toys
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

In my experience with batteries having a battery that has roughly double the draw you will need makes the battery last a lot longer. If it were me I'd probably go with a 12v 9AH battery. They're only about 5 bucks more and weigh 1/2 lb more than a 12v 7ah. This will give you plenty of spare battery usage if you want to add LED's later.
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

Ive done the AA battery and the sealed battery. Over the years they’ve worked ok. Lately I’ve been using this with good result

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Nocqua-10Ah ... mcQAvD_BwE
Music Man
Location: Missouri City Lightning Nomad, Kraken 13.5, Trident Ultra 4.3

Post by Music Man »

I use the AA battery pack - https://www.austinkayak.com/products/12 ... ector.html - and it works well. I do not keep my unit on constantly and can usually get 4 - 5 trips on a set of batteries. I used a small Pelican water-proof case to enclose this in.

I prefer this as it is small, light, and inexpensive. Again, I'm not using my unit constantly so I get decent life out of the batteries.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Those small battery packs are great. Just check your amp usage from manufacturer and I would get twice what it recommends to be safe.
You could in theory wire a couple of those small packs together in parallel I think.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Lookup online (or in manual) how much power your unit consumes (in Ampers), multiply it by number of hours you want it to work (lets say 10), then multiply by 2 (because lead-acid batteries deteriorate much faster if you discharge them below 40%-50%). Now, go on amazon and find Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery with capacity (measured in Amper-hours(Ah)) that is greater or equal than your number. Should cost you maybe $20.

If you are rich -- get lithium battery (no need to apply 2x multiplier for them).
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8 ... UTF8&psc=1

Runs my Dragonfly Pro 7 all day without any problems.
NavionicsSpecJason

Post by NavionicsSpecJason »

I use a deer feeder battery I bought at Academy for $10.00 on clearance. It will last me a couple of trips running my Helix 5 before needing to be charged. I use the same size battery for my Power Pole.
ben_beyer

Post by ben_beyer »

NavionicsSpecJason wrote:I use a deer feeder battery I bought at Academy for $10.00 on clearance. It will last me a couple of trips running my Helix 5 before needing to be charged. I use the same size battery for my Power Pole.
For your Powerpole, do you mount the battery in the kayak or just in the tankwell?

After seeing the price on the Powerpole battery, I did some searching to figure out the capacity so I could go a route similar to you but I'm debating about trying to mount it in the tankwell or drill a hole and put the battery down in the hull.
NavionicsSpecJason

Post by NavionicsSpecJason »

ben_beyer wrote:
NavionicsSpecJason wrote:I use a deer feeder battery I bought at Academy for $10.00 on clearance. It will last me a couple of trips running my Helix 5 before needing to be charged. I use the same size battery for my Power Pole.
For your Powerpole, do you mount the battery in the kayak or just in the tankwell?

After seeing the price on the Powerpole battery, I did some searching to figure out the capacity so I could go a route similar to you but I'm debating about trying to mount it in the tankwell or drill a hole and put the battery down in the hull.
If I have my black pack with me, I put the battery in there. If not, it goes in the hull. I run the cable under the dry hatch. I fish out of a Cuda HD. I’ve gotten two good trips out of an 8 amp hour battery before it needs to be charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk