Launching Into Bryan Lake/ Old Reservoir Area

CAS

Launching Into Bryan Lake/ Old Reservoir Area

Post by CAS »

Was reading a report from a few months back and saw someone mention launching off of Levee road to fish Bryan Lake/old Reservoir. I was wondering if you could just park on the side of the road and launch into the marsh there? It looks like it is possible from google but I would not want to drive all the way down there and realize otherwise.

Has anyone launched in this area before? I have attached a few pictures of the area I am talking about as well as the specific locations it looks like you can launch from.
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Launching Into Bryan Lake/ Old Reservoir Area

Post by Neumie »

Yes, from where you're circling. Just be mindful of the tide, those lakes aren't a place to get caught when the tide falls out.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Actually, the port of Freeport put a gate on the levee road before the lake so that red circled area is no longer accessible. It’s possible to launch at the ramp under the bridge and paddle down the ICW to the cut.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

When did that happen?
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Not sure, pretty recently. Image

Here’s the GE image capture of the location of the gate. Looks like there’s a path to the lake. It also looks like it might be an issue if the water dumps.
CAS

Post by CAS »

Thanks for the info guys!

That last spot still looks like I could launch there as long as its before the gate right? I am not too sure what you mean by the water dumping though..
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Yaboii wrote:Thanks for the info guys!

That last spot still looks like I could launch there as long as its before the gate right? I am not too sure what you mean by the water dumping though..
Water dumping in this case meaning having the tide go out and leave you no way to get back to the launch other than a very difficult wade through thigh deep mud. That’s real shallow over there by the levee so even a modest outgoing tide might leave you stranded.
CAS

Post by CAS »

karstopo wrote:
Yaboii wrote:Thanks for the info guys!

Water dumping in this case meaning having the tide go out and leave you no way to get back to the launch other than a very difficult wade through thigh deep mud. That’s real shallow over there by the levee so even a modest outgoing tide might leave you stranded.
I see what you mean that makes sense... I was planning on trying this weekend and it looks like an early high tide with a late low tide. Wanted to be in the water from about 6am-11am. I am thinking I could get away with going at this time..
1.PNG
1.PNG (31.52 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Thoughts?