My Name is _Thirdcoastin, and I am a Tackle-haul-ic.

marshcowboy

My Name is _Thirdcoastin, and I am a Tackle-haul-ic.

Post by marshcowboy »

I have had the sneaking suspicion that I may possess a minor obsessive personality in regards to fishing for some time now; however, my recent trip to the sporting goods store has only solidified such lurking notions. Although I have done far worse damage in previous outings, I literally went to the tackle section to pick up three packages of Owner TwistLOCK hooks and, before I knew it, ended up with two sacks full of sharp and shiny new toys. Seeing as I have the day off, I figured I would share my bounty with ya'll.
IMG_0146.jpg
Ended up replacing the trebles on my topwaters, coating all of my spoons with clear nail polish, organizing my tackle, and rigging up a few spec rigs as well.

Now, personally, I do not subscribe to the idea that I have a tackle problem as all of these items serve a purpose and provide a solution to catching fish; however, my girlfriend has pointed out a key observation: fishing gear is to me as what purses are to her. In all honesty, I am fine with this comparison. Her understanding nature regarding my fishing habits is cause for concern though... as I will definitely have to modify my fishing budget in order to buy the world's most proven lure of all: that left-handed platinum-set rock!

I'll be heading out on the water later this week and will post a report when I return. Have a good week TKF!
Last edited by marshcowboy on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drifting Yak
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: My Name is _Thirdcoastin, and I am a Tackle-haul-ic.

Post by Drifting Yak »

You sir have a problem.....but.....am afraid to say that you are not alone! :lol:
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Hey, I can top that!!! :lol:

Good lure choices.
mwatson71

Post by mwatson71 »

Welcome to the club. The first step is admitting you have a problem.

And congrats on realizing it is time to buy the big shiny lure. May you land the catch of your life.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

I see nothing there that isn't absolutely necessary for survival. There is no problem here. Well... That platinum rock has caught many a fish...erman.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

could be worse
and this is only 2 shelves out of 9
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Problem solved, give your tackle to me as I have plenty of storage in the kitchen and living room. :D
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

I try to avoid the sporting goods stores just because things I don’t need have ended up coming home with me. But there’s the online deal now so I really can’t escape. I’ve been disciplined on not buying lures lately, but less disciplined on fly tying supplies. I’ve bought a couple of the expensive precious metal mounted pressurized carbon chunks so let’s hope I’m done with that.

I’ve got boxes of lures that I haven’t used in years. Thankfully, my daughter likes to fish and has been picking through them. I really don’t want to get rid of any other than the ones she wants as they don’t take up too much space and I might go back to lure chunking in earnest someday. Lures are durable and they don’t go bad except maybe the hooks and those can be replaced.

Fly tying is a tackle-haul-ic’s dream hobby in that any one fly can require multiples of materials. Change the color, more materials are necessary. The shrimp fly I tie a lot requires no less than 11 different materials if I include the hook and thread in the total. I’ve now got two large Rubbermaid bins filled to the brim with feathers, fibers, and other tying supplies.

But no hobby seems to be free of cost. If one golfs, it’s balls, clubs and greens fees. Shopping is the hobby for a lot of women, including my wife. Finding some cute shoes 40% off really pumps her up. Me, it’s that $100 dollar package of dyed pink deer belly hair, Tungsten dumbbells, craft fur, dyed pink grizzly rooster neck and size 4 bonefish hooks about to arrive that makes me excited.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

I too once had this horrible disease. I easily fell prey to the next fisherman touting the superieor features of the next... umm.. next.. great.. paddle tail. We'd easily fish with pink polka dotted worms if they caught a 6 lb trout. Team Polka Dots! That's why I made the TroutSupport DVDs.. we could all learn how to target fish better and more effectively. I hate seeing guys buy this or that, "I wonder if this color will work", or " I need some of those"... I get emails from new customers and I make them promise me not to buy another new bait for 6 months.

The more you learn how to target the fish, the less lures you will need and you'll become more focused.

My wading box could have about 4-6 lures in it and I could catch fish all year long
You probably have something like the following or close.
  • Spook Jr and a One Knocker (SktterWalk or She Dog and thier pups are alternatives)
  • Any Fluke or Rat tail
  • any paddle tail
  • and in the cooler months I always have a Fat Boy
I'm a recovering tackle ho.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hope Tobin doesn't take this the wrong way, but just about any lure will catch you fish if you fish it properly. (though I'm agreeing with the premise of his post, and I certainly like his lures)
It's never the fly, it's always the fisherman.

There are also two approaches to fly tying. Fly-tying for fun, entertainment, relaxation, v. simply putting lures in the fly box when needed.
Where the whole thing originated was making useful lures from your game-hunting leftovers, so I think the accomplishment is making fish-catching apparatus from the fewest number of different parts.
Also, fish see flies and lures a whole lot differently than we do.
I call myself a hand-to-mouth fly tier. My buddy Mick, whom I can throw out for a couple of OCD hobbies, is the fly-tier-for-entertainment, and has closets full of full fly boxes he will never use.
(hell, he has More than a few fly rods he'll never fish)

TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

Ron Mc wrote:hope Tobin doesn't take this the wrong way, but just about any lure will catch you fish if you fish it properly. (though I'm agreeing with the premise of his post, and I certainly like his lures)
I agree; that was really the whole point of my post...

And yes, I do make a lure... but most people don't need it, only those that fish shallow grass, shallow oysters, or rocks. Our number one goal is to teach people how to find fish, target schools of fish, and hunt the fish; most of my clients quit buying all that stuff and learn to focus on what's proven in given situations. One guy paired it down to Little Johns and She Dogs... that's it. Guide boats don't have huge tackle storage systems.. sure if you see their garage it look like the pics above because we all go through that phase, but good guides have a little bag of lures and the best ones are on the console and the jig heads are under the leaning post. They don't even have tackle bags on their boats. Knowledge catches fish.. not lures.

All one needs is 4-5 tools. I wouldn't say you can make them hit any lure though... Yes, it is the Archer and not the Arrow... The reason I listed the 4 I did is because the fish are in different feeding attitudes and I've encountered numerous times they wouldn't hit a topwater and wanted something on the bottom, or wouldn't hit a subsurface but would hit a top. Notice I'm not saying here that you need 10 brands of tops either. Pair it down to your most confident selection; Fish don't care.

Anglers also take the 'match the hatch' thing way to far. The first thing to know about matching the hatch is 'forage location'... not making the bait look exactly like the hatch. Next is size (ish) but it doesn't have to be exact. Just about any small bait will work when they are eating something like small glass minnow. Sometimes I've even caught fish on very large baits when I found the very small bait the fish were keying on and eating; It's all about finding the fish. That's what matching the hatch is ALL about.

Color... I've broken about every major 'color' rule in the book. I agree with Capt Steve Soule on this one... I've caught trout in super dirty water on clear with silver sparkle and it was also getting dark with clouds no sun light to reflect those sparkles. I'v also caught trout and reds on black in ultra clear water. Reduce down your colors to only 2-3. 1 dark, 1 light, 1 natural. That's plenty.. most people have book binders of all the colors and spend too much time switching baits instead of looking for fish in the right areas.

Depth.. "have to fish the bottom in 6-8 feet of water right".. nope.. we routinely catch trout on topwater in 6-8 feet over the reefs.

It's all about noticing the fishes aggression level and reading the signs. Hunt the fish guys, good luck and have fun!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

The sequence that led to the present:

Began fishing the near Houston salt water at age 12. Standard terminal tackle for years thereafter being a popping cork, treble hook, on which a very live shrimp was attached.

Moved to Corpus and began wade fishing the laguna Madre flats with nothing other than a pocket full of customized Johnson gold weedless spoons. This stye fishing caught us more fish than we could handle.

Then, for reason's known only to the fishing gods, I began to buy top water, deep running, plastic, wooden, long, short, etc., etc. lures in every color imaginable. Caught plenty of fish, but, admittedly, no more than I did with the gold spoons.

Somewhere along the way, we started using fly rods in the salt. Where heretofore, my use of the long rods was limited to rainbows and browns, I soon left my plethora of level winds and spinning outfits in their garage racks and moved, almost one hundred percent to fly fishing. The collection of fly fishing equipment began in earnest.

For the past many years, I have enjoyed hours of fly tying and rod building. The assortment of equipment for those two ventures takes up more room than my wife appreciates..

Now, my body,having become a bit too 'mature' to handle the physical rigors of serious fishing, I am reduced to the task of taking care of a garage full of a 50 year collection of fishing equipment. None of the immediate members of my family have any serious interest in fishing.

As I rush, inexorably, towards the end of this wonderful journey, my only fear of it's end will be that my wife sells my fishing and hunting equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Meanwhile, if you know of someone who's love for fishing exceeds their ability to support it's financial demands, let me know. I have a massive amount of lures that I would gladly give to them.

Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Save them for some one in need. Several members had their gear stolen or lost in the hurricane.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Tombo, just tell me how to get in touch with them, and, I'll gladly help out.