Cavasso Creek?

JW FunGuy

Cavasso Creek?

Post by JW FunGuy »

I stoped by the launch at Cavaso Creek a couple of weeks ago and it looked something like Red Tide. The water was discolored and it was even complete with 3 dead fish (Red fish)! Anybody been there lately or have an idea of what is going on? It didn’t look like something I wanted to step into and launch. :?
Thanks!
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Cavasso Creek?

Post by TroutSupport.com »

We've had a good bit of coastal rains lately.. could have just been run off. If its a true 'red tide' or other algal bloom that is killing fish there will be a lot of dead shad and mullet first and also a strong ammonia type smell in general.. not just the stink from the three dead reds but gasses produced from the algae bloom itself.
JW FunGuy

Post by JW FunGuy »

Thanks for that explanation, I appreciate it. Hopefully this last rain and tides will have cleared it out.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I agree with Tobin, it's something likely due to rain runoff.

I'll also add, red tide causes respiratory discomfort, such as burning sensation in the back of your throat and nose, causing you to cough. Typically, red tide doesn't start to show up until the cooler months, October being the earliest.

I went to Texas A&M-CC and every winter a massive bloom would form in front of the university wreaking havoc on everyone's brething, especially those with asthima.