Kayaking after rain

TxAquatics

Kayaking after rain

Post by TxAquatics »

Hello gentlemen. How long do y'all usually wait after rainstorms to hit the water, 2 or 4 days? It's been rainy this week on n off in Houston area. I know the freshwater drains out through the bayou n marshes. I have a trip planned Sunday night. In just hate to use a vacation day and get skunked, I'm contemplating. Plus the lack of fishing reports, dang seems like no one is catching right now.
Some buddy went to ss jetties today, 7/7, live shrimp and nothing is biting....
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Kayaking after rain

Post by texnomad »

As I recall from when I lived in the Galveston area for 40 years, it seemed more of a too hot shallow water trouble than fresh water from July 1 through Labor Day. We had to shift our marsh fishing over to jetties and San Luis Pass deeper water to stay productive. At least that is what I remember no matter what the actual history might be for this ancient brain.
Texas Hooter

Post by Texas Hooter »

I’ve been fishing during and after. It seems to have messed up the trout bite. I went yesterday and launched as soon as it stopped raining. I limited on slot reds in about an hour and a half. I haven’t caught any trout since before all the rain. Not even dinks. But the reds seem unaffected.
TxAquatics

Post by TxAquatics »

Thanks for the reply. I'll make the trip, need to feel the kayak on the water again.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

There is a wide range of limitations when it comes to rain on the bays and in the watersheds that flow into them. Typically, for trout, it takes 7-10 inches of rainfall in a 2 day period for them to be affected at all. There is also seasonal shifts and there can be trout there one day and gone the next .. a little rain storm happens and we all think they moved due to rain. Have to keep all the variables in mind.

So here are some harder ideas for you guys to keep in mind
Capt Steve Soule indicated that a 1" rain over a shallow 7 inch marsh pond can be enough to move redfish out of that pond for a couple days.

I have, over time, found that summertime wide spread showers inland will cause a fresh layer on top of the salt in the creek portions

A 7-10 inch rain will blow out the urban watershed creeks and bayous while big marsh systems might only push the fish into the bayous because the marsh has more 'buffering' ability ie. it's not concrete and asphalt.

A tropical storm with 10-15 inches of rain over 2-3 days will put a fresh surface over the bay in most places.. trout will be beneath the fresh surface.

weekly consistent rains of several inches a week along with river releases can blow out a bay and move the fish... but it's not immediate.

First thing to do is just move off the shoreline and out of that marsh pond but look nearby, then start looking deeper.

hope that helps,
t