New to Sargent.

Dollarwr

New to Sargent.

Post by Dollarwr »

My dad just brought some property in Sargent. I was amazed by the canal systems there. Has anyone fished them? If so how was it? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: New to Sargent.

Post by texnomad »

Back in olden times when I worked in Houston, several of my friends and neighbors had places down there. They never seemed to have any trouble keeping a lot of fish filets coming to Houston. That is all I know but the eating during that time was pretty good to me. Details will have to come from others.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: New to Sargent.

Post by TroutSupport.com »

All canals with lights will typically hold some trout and some reds as long as there is some forage. You typically find some menhaden (shad species) in those canals this time of year and that's plenty. You don't have to wait until night though.. through a spook junior in the evening or at day light around schools of shad or mullet grouped up on the surface and if you don't get a bite, move down to the next batch. At night everything from spec rigs, small shad bodys, and even troutsupport grasswalkers work great around the lights. If you want to try and catch a red, use a heavier jig head and work the bottom with a little shad style paddle tail or gulp. The lights are usually pretty easy fishing but tend not to have a lot of size to the fish.. but hey, it's fun and you'll catch a couple keepers or maybe even a limit.