Question about Friday

Michael Meyer

Question about Friday

Post by Michael Meyer »

Friday I am taking my wife out fishing. The circumstances are a little different so bear with me.

We are going to be filmed putting our yaks in which will be broadcast later this month on KRIS-TV as part of an investigative story. (I really cannot explain now, but I will post when the story airs.) We are supposed to meet the reporter at Red Dot Pier which is located on the west side of the JFK Causeway (screen shot attached)
Red Dot Pier.jpg
at 10:00 A.M. My wife wants to fish with live shrimp (I just purchased an Engel Live Bait Cooler (3.5 gal) for her and she wants to try it out. I want to fish with artificials (Spook Jrs. and TSL plastics).

I was thinking about rigging her up with a popping cork and a freeline and letting her fish in the area in the red circle. I was going to fish in the area of the yellow circle. (Another screenshot attached.)
Fishing areas.jpg
Now for the questions:

1. Are those acceptable areas?

2. Can we launch from Red Dot Pier? (Third screen shot attached.)
Launch at Red Dot Pier.jpg
3. What kind of hook should I use when fishing under a popping cork?

4. How do you rig a live shrimp to freeline?

Thanks for the help.
Z~MAN
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: RGV,Brownsville,Texas,Kayak: hobie revo-Let's Go Fishin..Coco.!

Re: Question about Friday

Post by Z~MAN »

Small treble hook for shrimp on popping cork don't forget to get a bait net scooper for wife and a landing net. And a pair of hook outs for those cats and skipjacks

Let's go fishin....Coco!
Z-man
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

i hope you reporter is Priscilla Torres. She's an accomplished fisherperson, plus easy on the eyes! Texasjim
Michael Meyer

Post by Michael Meyer »

Rick Spruill. I don't know whether he is easy on the eyes - I am the wrong gender to judge - but, a great reporter. He has been magnificent to work with.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Many good places to fish close to that area. The area you picked for your wife is ultra crowded with boats. The area you picked is very shallow. Possibly moving a little North West of where you picked, and fish the shallow channels that abound in that area.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Dude, you should totally use this opportunity to troll TV folks. I don't know -- nonchalantly load a huge anchor into your kayak... take a marlin-class rod with (2 miles of a line) with you... or maybe a seine net... wear a pirate hat and eye patch. You have a world of possibilities here -- don't waste this moment or you'll be regretting it for the rest of your life.
jnd1959

Post by jnd1959 »

Crusader wrote:Dude, you should totally use this opportunity to troll TV folks. I don't know -- nonchalantly load a huge anchor into your kayak... take a marlin-class rod with (2 miles of a line) with you... or maybe a seine net... wear a pirate hat and eye patch. You have a world of possibilities here -- don't waste this moment or you'll be regretting it for the rest of your life.
Reminds me of the captain in Jaws. I know I couldn't resist walking to the kayak with that 5 foot shark rod resting on my shoulder and that big 16/0 penn hanging off the back. :D
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Yeah, smth like this (If they ask -- tell them you are going after croaker, they will understand):
rods.jpg
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

looks like you can launch from Red Dot

I would just take your wife with you. I wouldn't leave my wife fishing boat channels in that area.. keep her in sight of you, she'll just fish a little slower than you. She could fish drifting across the middle of your yellow circle, and you could focus more on that line of grass or the edge of the grass and potholes in the area.

Personally, I like using a small sharp kahle hook for shrimp either freelined or under the cork. It alleviates 2 hooks that can catch grass, and it's soo much easier to get out after catching a fish. 2/0 gammy kahle hook.
weekendyakker

Post by weekendyakker »

Crusader, HA! I like your train of thought buddy. Got a visual of somone loading a yact anchor into a yak in the background. Had me seriously laughing.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

You could prank Rick Spruill with a fake towable shark fin. Sneak it onto your kayak in a gear bag and then deploy it while they're filming. That's sure to make the evening news! Never a dull moment. TexasJim
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

You yakkers are a steady riot of laughs! The plastic shark-fin is a decent yak prank, but how about a life-size plastic mannequin of JIMMY HOFFA floating behind your kayak?! That might get a reaction.
IMG_6932.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk